• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Outwith the forums...

tartan_skirt

Today I was thinking about the forums I visit online, and when replying to the thread about other book forums I got to thinking, I wonder how many forum users bump into one another in real life? Does it happen? By accident or meeting up? Or how about the thought that you could pass by another user of this forum, or another, on one of your thrice daily visits to the bookshop/library/second hand store where you get the really, really cheap copies of books that you think only you know about?

The craft forum I visit has a massive user-base and has a part of the board divided into countries and then towns so that users can ask questions about store locations, post information on events, or organise gatherings. Though my area isn't quite so popular as many places in America of course. :p

Just my random thought... But do share thoughts and experiences. Tell me it does actually happen. Its not impossible! I'm going to stop rambling now and perhaps go get some more cake...

I've never met people from my other forums. A few that I belong to host social events and meet & greets around the country from time to time. That doesn't mean that we don't send snail mail and that kind of thing.

I have attended hockey games with folks from a hockey forum I frequent, and I have gone motorcycle riding with people from a motorcycle forum.

Tartan Skirt,
I'm inclined to agree with you that it ought to happen more often than we think. One other forum I know of is having their regular annual get-together soon. And another has just had theirs.
But when I go down to my local Borders café, and compare notes with the fair number of acquaintances I have made there, not a single one is even on-line at all, much less discussing books anywhere. I think they think I'm the nut/geek/nerd, for being involved with the Internet. They stare at me like I'm a Martian when I talk about it.
Go figure :)

I have met several people in person who I became friends with from visiting various fora. In fact, I have made some of my very dearest friendships in forum groups.:)

Nice one. :)

But heres another way of looking at my initial idea: Have you ever been in your local book store and taken a second to look around and though "I wonder if anyone from B&R is here, or comes here?" I mean, I could have been wondering around my local Borders minding my own business and have passed Stewart without any notice. :eek:

I mean, I could have been wondering around my local Borders minding my own business and have passed Stewart without any notice. :eek:
If it's the Borders in Buchanan Street then possibly. I'm in there all the time, working from A to Z. If you recognise me from the avatar, say hello.

I've not met anyone from a book forum (yet), but I have met a large number of people from a sports-based forum that I help to moderate. Some of the people I've met have become friends – I'm going up to Glasgow in late September to see two of them get hitched.

I have met one person in passing from another forum at an exotic pet show, I kept in touch for awhile and then I moved to Germany. Oh, and wait I met someone from Bookcrossing (kinda like a forum, actually there is a forum there I just don't go to it often) right when I got here, I was at my first book club meeting here, we also kept in touch for awhile until they moved to Korea. I was going to try and meet up with another BAR member from Germany in Berlin but I got lost (as happens often:sad:) . So far the 2 people I've met have been very nice and both recognized and approached me which is good because while I like meeting people I am often shy about starting up conversations.

I've met up with people from a few forums I belong to.

When I lived in Kansas City, the bimmerforums KC folks would get together once a month of so for a BBQ meet somewhere.

I've met a fair few forum people. We have semi-regular forum outings for Donkey! Monkey!, I meet up with knitting people from different sites at shops and shows and I've met a few people from various other forums along the years. So far there's only been one that turned out to be a psychopath and that was me, which turned out great for everyone.

I've met loads, mostly from Palimpsest. Some of them are members here too, such as Shade and Flor. Met a young lady off a programming forum many years ago: didn't work. Randomly turned up for a meal with a bunch of strangers one night - that was bizarre. More, too.

I've met a bunch of people from another forum I post on. It is a music forum and we all met up the last two years for the Pitchfork Music Fest in Chicago, IL. We had a BBQ and it was tons of fun :)

If it's the Borders in Buchanan Street then possibly. I'm in there all the time, working from A to Z. If you recognise me from the avatar, say hello.

I may just do that.

I wonder what a B&R gathering would be like... we could all enter the venue and just sit down in random places without saying a word to one another and just start reading books.

I wonder what a B&R gathering would be like... we could all enter the venue and just sit down in random places without saying a word to one another and just start reading books.

Nah, we'd drink and talk about the people that didn't show up. That's how other forum meetups usually go.

Back