• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

pen clicking

helgi

I've started my classes again, and the guy sitting next to me keeps clicking his pen while the prof is talking. Changing seats is a problem, cause I'm sitting infront of a beautiful girl, and I don't want to lose the seat.

Is there any clever way to check pen clicking? I've never seen anyone verbally acknowledge pen clicking except for myself, and I am thinking I will try to check it another way, so that I am not disliked by my class for being a simple fellow who is forthright and has no love of marginal guile.

You might try politely pointing out his annoying habit. If he stops, great. If not, maybe you could develop some annoying habits yourself...nothing violent, mind you. You wouldn't want to get kicked out of class and miss seeing the pretty girl, now would you?:p

The way I see it, you have several solutions open to you.

First:

In the middle of class, turn to him and say "My dear sir, kindly refrain from clicking your pen in class; it ruins the concentration of those seated near to you" then turn around and look at the gal sitting behind you, wink at her and then quietly go back to your doodles.

The way I see it, you have several solutions open to you.

First:

In the middle of class, turn to him and say "My dear sir, kindly refrain from clicking your pen in class; it ruins the concentration of those seated near to you" then turn around and look at the gal sitting behind you, wink at her and then quietly go back to your doodles.

That's right, get the pretty girl on your side.. and whoever else might be recruited. If he's annoying you, chances are there are other 'neighbors' who might want him stopped as well.

Second suggestion:

Right before class, turn around to the gal sitting behind you and say "I read a fascinating abstract last night about how twirling pencils and clicking pens is a manifestation of an urge to ummm....how should I say this.....self-pleasure". Make sure the clicker hears you when you say that.

Second suggestion:

Right before class, turn around to the gal sitting behind you and say "I read a fascinating abstract last night about how twirling pencils and clicking pens is a manifestation of an urge to ummm....how should I say this.....self-pleasure". Make sure the clicker hears you when you say that.

Ha! If you try this, don't be bashful, say it loud enough for the neighbors to hear and wink and point at the clickerdude:D

Third suggestion:

In the middle of class, exclaim "that's it!" and swipe the pen from the dude's hand and throw it across the room. Then sit down and apologize to everyone for your outburst then sit down.

Third suggestion:

In the middle of class, exclaim "that's it!" and swipe the pen from the dude's hand and throw it across the room. Then sit down and apologize to everyone for your outburst then sit down.

That could work too. Or talk to the neighbors before class and let them in on the scheme, so they can all turn to glare at clickerdude when you swipe his pen. If they haven't noticed the noise, this plan could backfire on you, so caution is advised.

Fourth suggestion:

When he starts clicking, lean over and say "Excuse me but I find that your pen clicking makes it difficult for me to pay attention to what the prof is saying".

Fifth suggestion.

Get your own clickable pen. Each time he clicks once, you click twice (a double click) and see if you can get some syncopation going with him.

Fifth suggestion.

Get your own clickable pen. Each time he clicks once, you click twice (a double click) and see if you can get some syncopation going with him.

That is evil......
I catch myself always doing something with my writing utensils and I actually end up annoying myself.....Is that even possible?

well, I didn't get a chance to read the responses till after class. But here's what I tried...

I brought a click pen to class and said, "If your pen is not working, try mine. It works, see?"....then I clicked my pen to show that it worked, as if to suggest that I understood his pen clicking as to be a malfunction of the pen, and that be the premise to suggest scrutiny upon the behavior

but now he's clicking the pen more than ever. and no one else is saying anything. I'll try some of the response ideas

That's right, get the pretty girl on your side.. and whoever else might be recruited. If he's annoying you, chances are there are other 'neighbors' who might want him stopped as well.

well, the habit seems directed at me since I am the closest to it. It is not as annoying to anyone else, I think, because the clicking is not directed at them.

well, I didn't get a chance to read the responses till after class. But here's what I tried...

I brought a click pen to class and said, "If your pen is not working, try mine. It works, see?"....then I clicked my pen to show that it worked, as if to suggest that I understood his pen clicking as to be a malfunction of the pen, and that be the premise to suggest scrutiny upon the behavior

but now he's clicking the pen more than ever. and no one else is saying anything. I'll try some of the response ideas

You fool! You're enabling him and encouraging his behavior.

well, I should add something about my pen pal,... he's a drill sargaent.

maybe it makes me look bad that I should have a problem with one of our men in uniform, but he's clearly challenging me with his behavior in general. He keeps some metals on his back pack too. He may have contempt for my immaturity, since his job is to run drills for new soldiers.

...you know, the thing is, I've hardly had any classes where I could concentrate. There must be something dislikeable about me, because in every class, even when I change seats, the person nearest me will demonstrate an excessive behavior, and will not use their usual corteous nature, and will even trouble themselves to belch from either end! this is so!

the women don't seem to mind me, but there is always a guy sitting next to them, passing wind to make it look like it was me! If this is a common practice in college, too bad for the women; that they are competed for by backward belches, rather than more proper gestures; for if ever I bring a flower, my rival will conspire to damage the fragrance!

If he's a drill sergeant then your problems are solved!

Dress up as an officer and order him to cease and desist the pen clicking post haste.

I recommend this uniform:

awww.loc.gov_exhibits_lewisandclark_images_ree0079s.jpg

Or perhaps something with a shako.

awww.nps.gov_fowa_historyculture_images_Image19.jpg

If he's a drill sergeant then your problems are solved!

Dress up as an officer and order him to cease and desist the pen clicking post haste.

I recommend this uniform:

awww.loc.gov_exhibits_lewisandclark_images_ree0079s.jpg

Or perhaps something with a shako.

awww.nps.gov_fowa_historyculture_images_Image19.jpg

that guy looks like a stratego piece

Start saluting him every time he clicks.:D

I actually did try resting my head in my hand in such a way which was to suggest in mockery the act of salutation, as would be marginally suggested as my hand departed to meet my desk in writing. But I have begun to think that it is the 'projection of character' as I've heard it called, that checks marginal abuses like pen clicking, more than any technical measures.

I've made some progress by technical measure.

I have no book, and the professor told me to share the sargeant's book. And what followed was an example of the sargeant's false nature, for he began to gesture at the book with no clear intention, and speak just under conferable regester. His hope here is that I would affect my posture to lean in, so that it would appear to onlookers as if he was offering valuable insight upon the passages within the text. I saw immediately that there was no insight in what he was saying, and intervened as if in a manner of correction, at a higher register. I also took trouble, after I'd finished looking on the book, to take the book from between us and place it more squarely upon his desk, covering his notebook marginally, also cutting him off in mid sentence as he tried once again to act as if he were being very helpful.
I brought a spanish newspaper to class. Our college is very lenient, and we may do nearly anything in our respective desks, even pen clicking, and so I read through the newspaper for much of the class. I figure that a newspaper makes a marginal suggestion of maturity and worldliness.

But there is something singular I have noticed about keeping a newspaper on one's desk.....

I have noticed, making no pretense of scientific discipline, that in coffee houses and classrooms, that on some 5 occasions while keeping a newspaper on my table a neighboring student will lift his foot conspicuously near my table, so that the paper is at his foot. This may be intended, with purpose or subconsciouse design, to convey contempt through metaphor, that he be the master as he has the paper at his feet, and that I be the dog as I put it there. Of course, the foot arrives second, since my paper is already there in the some 5 occasiones, but the appearance to 3rd party is what often imports gesture.

... I noticed that the sargeant raised his foot after I'd put my paper on my desk, nearly contacting the paper. So I said, "I think you stepped in something." and he had to inspect his shoe with some loss of his usual mannerism. For if he'd not inspected it, he would have looked deliberately rude (in case it be something real bad on his sole) or had to relinquish his foot's lofty place, and looked sheepish. To excuse myself for the accusation, I said it was the logo on the bottom of his shoe that I'd thought was a piece of gum or wrapper.

Back