• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Randomness! Yay!

Gem said:
but i have to find a house first - darn house prices:mad: - there we go - my biggest fear of all time - the price of property in London. Very scary.:D

Say, what is the price of property in London? How much would a 2 bedroom apt cost to rent, for example? I was discussing real estate the other day and someone said that real estate costs less in england than in california, and I got curious.

Thank you Vesper, I'm waiting for the chocolate box (I like anything with nuts).

Tundra,
Say, what is the price of property in London? How much would a 2 bedroom apt cost to rent, for example? I was discussing real estate the other day and someone said that real estate costs less in england than in california, and I got curious.
It would depend on which part of London, the more central you are/more closer to the river the expensiver (is that a word?) it will be. Plus if something is being advertised as an apartment rather than a flat then that too will cost more. I live about 20mins by train away from Victoria and a quick look at my local newspaper shows that a two-bedroom flat is up for £950.00 per month.

Gem said:
Plus if something is being advertised as an apartment rather than a flat then that too will cost more. I live about 20mins by train away from Victoria and a quick look at my local newspaper shows that a two-bedroom flat is up for £950.00 per month.
I thought an apartment and a flat were the same thing. What's the difference?

Looks like rental costs are about the same as they are around here.

Vespertilio91 said:
Here in the midwest, everything's a little less expensive than in your stuck-up California and England. So HAHA!

Damn straight we're stuck-up and don't you forget it!

well, i don't think it could get worse than manhattan at around $3000 a month for a one-bedroom.

incidentally, where i am, for rentals, isn't much better. a nice two-bedroom apartment would be around that, maybe a tad less. and i'm NOT in CA or London.

tundra, that is the million dollar question, no idea what the difference is or even if there is, but in my experience there is a difference in price. Perhaps it's just that flats are always spread across one floor whereas apartments can sometimes have split levels?

Vesper : :p

Lady Cordelia, a friend of mine rents a one bedroomed place for £1000.00 per week - I don't see the logic in it, :confused: may as well just get your own place and pay the mortgage.

lady.cordelia said:
well, i don't think it could get worse than manhattan at around $3000 a month for a one-bedroom.

incidentally, where i am, for rentals, isn't much better. a nice two-bedroom apartment would be around that, maybe a tad less. and i'm NOT in CA or London.

You've definitely got me beat. Who can compare the Bay area with Neverland? Even San Francisco isn't that high. But it's easily $1800 for a 1-bedroom.

yes, neverland is rather pricey. my treehouse is a fortune! ;)

incidentally, i agree with gem. we bought as soon as we could afford it and saved money and had an investment, as our home has appreciated quite a bit over the years, whereas with renting it just goes down a hole.

My family's been trying to tell that to my mom's sister for thirty years, but she hasn't listened to it. She lives in a duplex and pays 780 dollars a month.

This morning when I got in the shower, I noticed something slippery on the floor of the tub, but didn't want to figure out what it was. And then when I went to wash my hair I picked up my shampoo bottle (that was nearly full yesterday) and it was completely empty. There was a tiny hole in the bottom edge of the shampoo bottle. It wasn't punctured either, since the hole is poking outside the bottle, and not poking inside. So, somehow overnight my shampoo spontaneously began leaking all over the floor of the tub..most of it running down the drain but leaving a trail along the wall. Definitely the oddest thing to happen to me in a while.

Wow, that sucks. What did you wash your hair with then?

P.S. Now that school has re-begun, I will not be on B&R nearly as much. :( >.< I do fear because I've had more homework than that of a college student though tundra may try to disprove me, I doubt she will. Seven to eight hours a night, compared to two hours a month last year. God I hate being smart... And tundra, you'll probably end up overing me in posts by the end of the year.... Grrr.

Does anyone like my new avatar???

Wow, that sucks. What did you wash your hair with then?
I borrowed my roommate's shampoo.

P.S. Now that school has re-begun, I will not be on B&R nearly as much. :( >.< I do fear because I've had more homework than that of a college student though tundra may try to disprove me, I doubt she will. Seven to eight hours a night, compared to two hours a month last year. God I hate being smart... And tundra, you'll probably end up overing me in posts by the end of the year.... Grrr.
Um, sorry you don't win the most homework contest. Even during my undergrad I was up until 2 am every night with homework, and I would have class all day because of all the 3-hr lab sections I had to go to. I'm not sure how much I'll be on here after school starts (at the end of sept). I've only been on a lot since I joined because I have a bit of down time at my job occasionally. But I only have two quarters of school left (done in march, yay!), and then I get drop kicked into the real world.

(And if you're as smart as you boast, your "seven to eight hours" will only take half that because you'll find ways to cut corners and rely on your intelligence to get good grades. You know..procrastinating things and them doing them really quick but well, not having to study for tests because you know the material, math homework not taking very long because it is easy for you, etc. This sort of thing is possible in high school, but gradually you'll be forced to turn into a good student late in college-that puts in the time as you get into more and more challenging things.) Anyway. Good luck with school.

Does anyone like my new avatar???
Um..not so much, actually. (You asked.)

ugh! i need to throw a pity party. i think i must have some kind of food poisoning. in a course of 12 hours, i have lost 6 pounds! i feel so weak. i am finally coming out of it, but this was NOT how i wanted to spend a holiday weekend! and i just hope and pray it was food and nothing contagious lest i spend the next several days cleaning up after four children who forget to RUN to the bathroom and not walk!

Oh..poor lady.cordelia. I had food poisoning during a 24 hour take home final once. Pure misery. I hope you are feeling better! I'm guessing that 6 pounds was water weight..have you got it back? My friend has poison oak AND mono, and she can't sleep because the poison oak itches too much, and so her mono doesn't get better. Poor thing.

tundra said:
Oh..poor lady.cordelia. I had food poisoning during a 24 hour take home final once. Pure misery. I hope you are feeling better! I'm guessing that 6 pounds was water weight..have you got it back? My friend has poison oak AND mono, and she can't sleep because the poison oak itches too much, and so her mono doesn't get better. Poor thing.
poison oak and mono? omg. Now that is horrific. And here I was about to whine about my sore wisdom teeth.... sheesh

it ended up being a total of 8 pounds. i gained back 5 of it. glad to be down three more pounds. i have been deliberately trying to lose weight for the past two years and have lost about 35 pounds in that time period. it is slow, but at least it is staying off.

Yes, tundra I knew you'd disprove me. And yes I was being whiny that day. The homework's died down a little, but I did find a couple shortcuts (thank God!) but I mustn't be as smart as I thought, considering I have a C in English thanks to a stupid vocabulary test. Grrr!

I like my avatar, and it's an easter egg in the animated series Invader Zim. That character is named GIR and it is about as competent as a brick wall. Really! It sings the Doom Song for six months straight, says Yay! when it's master is captured by humans, and takes out it tracking device to make room for a cupcake. But it's really cute and this makes me think of how evil it really can be.

I am sorry that both of you are/were sick. I sympathize, seeing as my dad's been sick with something and he DOESN'T STOP FREAKING COMPLAINING! I mean he moans while lying in bed, but for some reason can yell when the baseball game's on... :confused:

Back