• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Re-reading books

Which type of reader are you?

• I have never re-read an entire novel.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I have re-read an entire novel.

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • I have Stewart.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joderu95

I've never once re-read any book. I can't stand the idea that I am missing out on something that is completely new to me. Even if the book turns out to be crap at least it was still unexpected and I know which authors, types of books, plots, etc. might not be to my liking in the future.

Anyone else never or very rarely re-read books?

Anyone re-read often or one particular book many times?

*Poll closes in one year.

I usually only re-read books if they are breathtakingly amazing or I felt I missed something the first time. One book I'm dying to get my hands on so I can re-read it is East Wind, West Wind by Pearl Buck. I read it in French years ago and was so moved by it. If I'm reading a series on and off, I'll sometimes re-read bits of the last book to get back into the storyline.

I tend to re-read my easier books sometimes..if i have nothing else.Like Michael Crichton Prey... but generally i am not into rereading much. But Ive read Henry David Thoreau's Civil disobedience maybe 4 times and reread ALOT of Edward Abbey countless times.

I don't bother. I read a book--put it away and forget about only to move on to the next book. There are too many books out there to be re-reading anything

^That sums up my opinion. I've liked plenty of books that are worth reading again, but I just can't get over the idea of not using that same time to read something new.

I was more or less of the same opinion until i got stuck for new books and had to re-read the few i had.
When we arrived in Morocco with little money and not knowing where to find good books,we had 3 cardboards of books.We re-read them all,even the bad ones.It's very interesting.Some good became average,and vice versa.Some give a complete new light one the story with time.
Anna karenina was the most flagrant to me,loving Anna on my first read,i came to dispise her on the segond one.
Some book i had in audio i listen up to ten times while working and kept finding pearls or just enjoying coming to the part i loved.
Like a very good film,you are stunned the first time around so it's even better when your are ready for the good bits.You sort of brace yourself to enjoy then fully,no?
A book is the same.
And sometime after reading few crapy ones you just fall back to something you are sure will bring you back on tracks.Sort of break the jincks.
I rather re-read a good book than read a newbad or boring one.

We age, we learn, perspectives change. Re-reading a book shouldn't mean experiencing that book the same way twice.

We age, we learn, perspectives change. Re-reading a book shouldn't mean experiencing that book the same way twice.

That's very true too---but again, I have too many books on my TBR list and I'd feel really guilty re-reading something and looking over at my HUGE pile:lol:

Agree with this. Also, I re-read books for the same reason I listen to albums I like more than once, eat dishes I like more than once, hang out with people I like more than once...

Agree with this. Also, I re-read books for the same reason I listen to albums I like more than once, eat dishes I like more than once, hang out with people I like more than once...

For me the difference with a book more so than albums, food and people is that it's entertainment value lies mostly in its novelty. I eat dishes I like more than once because I want to continue living. ;)

I used to reread often. Now I have several books that I haven't started yet so it'd be silly of me to pick up a book I've read once or more than once. Gotta finish the new ones first . . .

I have not re-read a book up to now,but I do want to try Speak ,Memory again sometime in the future.

There are a few I've read more than once and one I've read many times; Travels With Charley. I read this about every 5 years when I get the plague and spend too many days at home.

I have re-read novels but it is rare and usually with more than 10 years between readings. When I re-read a novel it is usually one that I remember enjoying when I was young and just want to try it again, such as Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men. But those are also relatively short. I would like to re-read It and The Stand but I find it difficult bringing myself to devote that much time to a re-read.

I tend to re-read novels when I feel I haven't fully understood or have missed something, I find it gives me greater understanding, but I do agree, there are so many books out there I want to read and haven't yet done so!

Back