• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Just finished: We, the drowned by Carsten Jensen. A historical fiction novel that tells the story of a Danish shipping town between the years 1848 - 1945. 678 pages of enjoyable reading, but not the classic some reviewers are calling it. Compare it to Moby Dick? I don't think so.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Bossypants by Tina Fey. Her work stories and theater troupe anecdotes were the book's best moments. Highly recommended if you're interested in Fey's work. :star4:

I've read five Dan Brown novels and they were all great except The Lost Symbol, It's almost like he has gone commercial. His best was Deception Point, a novel nobody talks about. I think he should lay off Langdon for awhile.

I read The Lost Symbol and found it like peeling an onion. Kept giving us layer after layer. Got a bit tiresome. The symbolism was kind of like a math lesson. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Da Vinci Code or Deception Point - though Deception Point was great.

Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway. Not quite the hit for me personally that Orlando was, but still a hell of a novel. :star4:++

Steve Earle, I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive. :star4: or possibly just slightly less. A very good debut, with some great ideas and prose as great as his poetry, but just a little unfocused at times.

Just finished: Leaving Van Gogh by Carol Wallace. A wonderful, although too short historical novel about Vincent Van Gogh's last year of his life. This was his bright color period of painting, which produced many of his famous works. He suffered from mental illness and took his own life at age 37.

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley :star4:

Impressive debut novel about how one family copes when bird flu literally shuts down America.

Philip Roth, Indignation. :star3:+ ; some really interesting ideas, but ultimately a little on the short side. Would probably have liked it more if I didn't know Roth is capable of far more.

Selma Lagerlöf, Gösta Berling's Saga, :star4:+

Debut novel by the first female Nobel Prize for Literature winner, sadly overlooked outside her home country. And yes, it's aged both since it was written in 1891 and since I read it the first time ~20 years ago, but it's still a hell of a story with a fantastic payoff that basically picks up all the overly romantic 19th century-isms it's been playing straight all the way through and slaps the protagonist in the face with them. Great read, and the final few chapters gain some extra emotional resonance after the horriffic events of the past few days.

Back