• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Great Expectations - Dickens
I know I am late. I never read Dickens before because it just never seemed like he would appeal to me. Boy was I mistaken. I tried other Victorian Era authors and couldn't quite get into the stories, but this one grabbed me from the gate.
There is a very rare feeling you get when you first start a book and you feel immediately like you are settling into a story that you are going to enjoy immensely. I had that feeling when I started Great Expectations and it stayed with me right until the ending(s).

:star5:

Haruki Murakami - 1Q84, Vol 1

No stars as of yet. Have to see where this is going first. It's a chinese box of a novel, several narratives nested in each other. I think.

Finished in the past 3 weeks, all in audio
Non fiction
Getting More 3/5
Balance: In Search of the Lost Sense (Abridged) 4/5
John Lennon - The Life (Abridged) 3.5/5
God wills it!: understanding the Crusades 3.5/5

Fiction
Babbitt 3.5/5
Phantoms (by Dean Koontz) 1.5/5
The Brass Verdict 3.5/5

I recently finished The Gunslinger the Dark Tower 1 by Stephen King. Its not a bad book but some what difficult to follow. Sometimes I had a hard time following what was going on and it was the revised version of the book

Just finished crime story "Fever in the Bone" by Val McDermid. Enjoyed it - lots of investigating by computer experts, sub-plots to add interest - good cop story. momac

Hello again: Just a correction of the book title - should be "Fever of the Bone" - it's part of a quotation of T.S. Eliot "No contact possible to flesh allayed the fever of the bone" momac

Hello Brk3 - is Transfer of Power the latest of Vince Flynn's books? momac

No it is not the latest. Transfer of Power is the first book in the Mitch Rapp series. According to Goodreads it was published in Oct. 2006

Transfer of Power

Tks Brk3 for the info - then I've probably read it - I have tried to read the books in sequence but that doesn't always happen when I'm getting them from the library. Anyway, when you go back to read them once you know what happens in later books it kind of spoils it. I should be keeping track of book titles but never seem to get around to it. C'est la vie. momac:D

Haruki Murakami, 1Q84 vol 2.

Still not sure what to make of this. The ending works as an ending, but it's an ending to a novel that's a pretty distinct :star3:. But of course there's a third volume on its way, and there are lots of little things in the novel that seem like hooks you could hang more layers and ideas on. I'm going to sleep on it. Well, not literally as it's about 850 pages.

John Dies At The End - David Wong 3.5/5

Was an entertaining read but had fairly small print and often page after page of descriptives.

Struggled with it more than I expected to.

Hidden talents - Erica James.

Not a book I would have normally picked up--passed along to me by my grandmother--however, I did enjoy the 'lightness' of the characters and story...particularly when Hidden Talents followed my re-read of Dickens' Bleak House.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom :star4:

Reminded me of "The Alchemist" but not as fable-like.

Some parts brought tears to my eyes where others were a bit too contrived.

Not horrendous but not outstanding!

Back