• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Room by Emma Donoghue

The most riveting and suspenseful book I have ever read. It's a child's eye view full of imagination, pain and love.

The Passage - Justin Cronin. Love the read. Now looking forward to the second book in the trilogy, The Twelve, being released next year.

My Uncle Oswald - Roald Dahl 3.5/5 stars

Rather saucy adult tale from my all-time favourite children's author.

Pretty light and easy to read but definitely no "BFG"!

Just finished: Lear's daughters by Marjorie B. Kellogg. This is a updated combination
of two previous novels ( The Wave and Flame/ Reign of Fire ). This is a 739 page
thriller based on ecologically challenged Earth's invasion of planet Fiix for it's rich
supply of Lithium.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Varlam Shalamov, Kolyma Tales (Russia, or maybe I should say Soviet Union) :star4:+

Wow. Short stories based on the author's experiences of 20 years in GULAG. Tempting to draw comparisons to Solzhenitsyn, but probably unfair to both of them.

Michel Onfray, Nietzsche (France) :star3:

Nietzsche's life, retold as graphic novel. Tells you more about the person than the ideas, and revels a bit too much in hero worship, but interesting.

Zakes Mda, The Whale Caller (South Africa) :star4:

It's a love triangle between a man, a woman, and a right whale. And it's often kind of beautiful even when it's messed up as hell.

Just finished William F. Buckley Jr.'s God & Man at Yale. His criticism of a lack of religious orthodoxy at Yale was rather weak, though his arguments picked up momentum when it came to the economics department and what constituted a good curriculum. Definitely a treat, though not a person I usually agree with.

Back