• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Overload - by Arthur Hailey

I just finished last friday. I like the way the author has written the story and the way it makes my mind work on scenes. I've read two more books from the same writer. I love it all.. I realise I should make my own summarisation though.. My reader's summary for Overload should be the first..

Before I Go to Sleep - S. J. Watson

Just finished Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson. This is a cleverly plotted mystery/thriller about a woman, Christine, who has lost her memory. One morning she wakes up and doesn't recognize the man in bed next to her. In her mind she is in her 20's but then as she looks at her hand she realizes it is the hand of a woman much older. Her husband Ben, (the man who was in bed with her) tells her that she lost her memory when she was hit by a car and keeps feeding her snippets of information of her past life. Each day as she wakes up everything is new again. A doctor, Dr. Nash, gets in touch with her, she doesn't know why, and he says he thinks he can help her with trying to recall her memories. He advises her to keep a daily journal and says that she should keep it a secret from her husband and to hide it. He will call her each day to remind her where she put the journal. She takes his advice and starts the journal - when she opens it one day she finds the words 'DON'T TRUST BEN'. From there on she has flashbacks which don't tally with what Ben is telling her. Thus begins the intriguing unravelling of her past life.

Kenneth Hite, Where The Deep Ones Are. Re-telling of The Shadow Over Innsmouth as filtered through Maurice Sendak. Pretty much what you'd expect. Nice illustrations. :star3:

Umberto Eco, The Prague Cemetery

Tentatively :star4:. Could be either :star5: or :star3:. In large parts brilliant, but boy does he ever go on. Will mull it over.

Sherlock Holmes: The Breath of God by Guy Adams - 7/10

A fun and engaging tale in which Sherlock Holmes meets up with a couple of classic paranormal literature's key characters. Rewarding and fun read, short and worth dipping into.

Luke Haines - Post Everything. The second volume of Auteurs/Black Box Recorder frontman's memoir is still hilariously bitter, deliberately self-obsessed, but perhaps not quite as interesting to non-fans as the first volume (Bad Vibes) since he spends more of it interacting with himself and his own bands and record companies rather than the likes of Oasis and Blur. Still, someone give this guy a steady writing job. Especially since the hatred he feels for the music business seems to be mutual. :star4:

Tomas Tranströmer, Baltics A a beautiful rumination on history, how close and how far it can get, how something as tame as our own backyard, the Baltic Sea and the islands just off the coast of Stockholm can within living memory have been so wild, so poor, that we forget about it - and most certainly don't think about the people on the other side ("But it’s a long way to Liepāja") - it was written 15 years before the Wall fell. Old pictures, medieval baptismal fonts, scribbles on 19th century maps... :star4:

Reamde by Neal Stephenson :star5:

My first Stephenson, definitely not my last. His back stories are great. The action was fast and furious.

Have finished reading Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power about a plot by a very clever terrorist to take over the White House and capture the president. It's an exciting tale, well written, with lots of suspense and political manoeuvering. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :star4:

Michal Ajvaz, The Other City. He wears his influences (Borges, Marquez, Kafka, Carroll, Lovecraft, and dare I enter a little Miyazaki into the mix) very much on his sleeve. But still, those are some good influences to have, and yeah, I buy it. :star4:

I remember Rizpah! I read it way back in the seventies. Very well done story about a little-known Biblical character.

Yes, Saul's concubine. The story told from a different viewpoint. Fascinating insights. I read it first when my mother bought it through one of the book clubs. Probably shortly after it was published.

Back