• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

bought room, couldn't get through more than a few chapters. slightly irritating style. not sure why that is. wasn't too enthused by the plot either.

The Secret Piano: From Mao's Labor Camps to Bachs Goldberg Variations by Zhu Xiao-Mei :star4:
This one was difficult to rate as the story itself is compelling, but is told in a rather flat monotone voice that should make the horrors she endured even more chilling. Somehow it doesn't, even though the re-education and out and out torture she went through was enough to break anyone. The first half was a little difficult to take, as she presented the dogma.
A most difficult life and a courageous woman.

Box 21 by Rosulund-Hellstrom :star4:
Nice little twisty Swedish mystery with a couple of very interesting paths taken. Good characters, difficult and dicey situations. Well done. I'll look for more of theirs for sure.

AIE: whoops! forgot I'd already mentioned the first one, oh well, I'll leave it. :)

The Lumby Lines by Gail Fraser. First in the Lumby series. A nice, cozy read that makes you want to make soup and snuggle up with your dogs.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Memoir by a young woman who camped and hiked 1100 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail from California to Oregon alone one summer to try to come to terms with herself and life after the death of her mother and the complete disintegration of her family ties. A vivid narrative of introspection as well as an accurate description of the hazards and joys of life along the trail. A good read if you are thinking of either camping or hiking in the great outdoors.
:star4:

When I Die by Philip Gould. Description by the author of how he proactively enriched his relationships with his wife and children after being diagnosed with a recurrence of cancer and given only a few months to live, told against the detailed background of his battle against the disease for several years.

(The author was a key political strategist for the British Labour Party.)

The Narrows - Michael Connelly :star3:

A little bit of a let down. I had higher expectations going into this one. This being the sequel to The Poet and bringing Harry Bosch into the storyline, I thought this would be a blazing page turner. Still not bad though.

The Cambridge Quintet by John L. Casti. A fictional work depicting a conjectural but plausible dinner-table conversation and argument, in 1949, among five notables: C. P Snow, Ludwig Wittgenstein, John Haldane, Alan Turing and Erwin Schrodinger on then-new issues in the new topic of artificial intelligence. Written in 1992, it concludes with an interesting appraisal of progress in AI to that date.

Just finished: 11/22/63

Stephen King touched on horror with 'It', tickled us with fantasy in 'Lisey's Story' , emotionally stirred us with the apocalyptic 'The Stand', dealt with science fiction in 'Under the Dome' and now he challenges the great Harry Turtledove with this alternate history epic novel! Wow! Is there any author more versatile than Stephen King? Maybe his next project is a Broadway play or musical! This man can write and I'm a big fan. I could have read this 849 page novel in two or three days, but I wanted to savor it like a fine wine. Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this novel also contains a little of H.G. Wells's 'The Time Machine' .
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Back