• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Today was a good day stopping by used book stores! I could have stayed in there forever.

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell
The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
The Living Reed by Pearl S. Buck
Marlfox by Brian Jacques
Merlin's Harp by Anne Eliot Crompton

Kirino Natsuo, "Out"
Monica Ali, "Brick Lane"
Ian McEwan, "Saturday"
Jonathan Safran Foer, "Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close"

I love these 4-paperbacks-for-the-price-of-3 deals. I'd inject paperbacks directly into my bloodstream if I could.

I bought mine in Tesco too. Along with some lovely, lovely, non black-clad classics for under £3 each (well surely nobody knows the exact price of these bargain books Tesco sells).

It's a crime to purchase books from Tesco though. Of every £8 spent by British shoppers, £1 of it is in Tesco. One day all of our money and all of our employment opportunities with be Tescoan. And yes, Tescoan will be a word. In fact, it won't even need the capital T. Criminal.

Oh, and bought Great Expectations, which I will read, because how can you not love a name like Philip Pirrip?

Stewart though, your argument is tenuous, for Tesco sells lots and lots of books, all of them under the recommended whatevery price, and not all of them "a shame not to buy". ;)

steffee said:
surely nobody knows the exact price of these bargain books Tesco sells

£2.97

It's a crime to purchase books from Tesco though. Of every £8 spent by British shoppers, £1 of it is in Tesco.

I can go to Sainsburys and Taste the Difference. Or I can go to Tesco and pocket the difference instead. :rolleyes:

Isn't 'pocket the difference' ASDA. Still, even a bookophile such as yourself, would not like to taste books, I shouldn't think.

But when Tesco are the only supplier of books, we will... oh stuff that argument.

Oh, and ye who is master of facts, how did I guess you'd know the price of those books? :)

Rabbit, Run, John Updike
The Lonely Londoners, Sam Selvon
A Spy In The House Of Love, Anais Nin
From A Crooked Rib, Nasruddin Farah

253 by Geoff Ryman
Bear V. Shark by Christopher Bachelder

Both gifts, from someone who assures me they're "unique".

If On a Winter's Night a Traveller
by Italo Calvino, because I got sick of trying to read it in bookshops.

I picked these up from the library the other day. Can you guess what we're studying for the first few weeks of school?:cool:

Ancient Celtic Festivals and How We Celebrate Them Today- Clare Walker Leslie

Celtic Folk and Fairy Tales-Joseph Jacobs

Atlas of the Celtic World-John Haywood

Everyday Lives of the Celts-Neil Grant

The Ancient Celts-Patricia Calvert

The Ancient Celts- Barry Cunliffe (Thanks Stewart!)

Keeping a Naure Journal- Clare Walker Leslie (so nice, I went ahead and ordered a copy from Overstock)

So Many Ways To Begin, Jon McGregor
Be Near Me, Andrew O'Hagan
In The Country Of Men, Hisham Matar

And thus begins my attempt to read as many Booker longlistees as possible.

Back