• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I havne't read any of them, but I know the first Abarat book was great. So I'm sure the second will be great too. :)

lady.cordelia said:
There's another? Should I read that one first? What is it called? Thanks.

Yes there is one before it titled "Abarat" and it was a really good entertaining read. I loved it! I'm not sure if you should read it first since I've never read the second one, but I would read it first simply because I'm the type who has to read everything in order.

(yes I'm anal like that. :D )

Pearl said:
Yes there is one before it titled "Abarat" and it was a really good entertaining read. I loved it! I'm not sure if you should read it first since I've never read the second one, but I would read it first simply because I'm the type who has to read everything in order.

(yes I'm anal like that. :D )

I'm the same way. I just noticed on the spine it says Book Two. Doh! I'm gonna have to get #1. Oh well. I think I'll start with the Marion Zimmer Bradley book. I just finished one of hers anyways and know I'll like it. And it will give me time to find book 1 of Abarat at a good price. Thanks for the info!

Ordered a used copy of Poppy Z. Brite's Crow novel, The Lazarus Heart. No way was I paying $50.00 for a hardcover, even if it was a signed edition.

The Abaret Quartet is a four book series from Clive Barker. The first was called Abarat and the second, as you know, Days Of Magic, Nights Of War. The other two are not yet complete.

I would expect you will know more about Abarat in the next couple of years once Pottermania has died down. Disney payed Barker millions for Abarat after he had only done some paintings to illustrate the world and before he had even put pen to paper. The plans, as far as I know, are to make movie adaptations of Abarat and create an Abarat theme park section in Disney World.

With all the talk of westerns in recent days I spent a good five minutes um-ing and ah-ing over whether to buy Cormac McCarthy's The Border Trilogy. In the end I decided not to. But, tonight, with the western thing going through my head and as I write my short story western (inspired by this thread) I decided to buy Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. it's been on my radar for long enough; I've just never really felt like buying it.

I spent a good five minutes um-ing and ah-ing over whether to buy Cormac McCarthy's The Border Trilogy. In the end I decided not to. But, tonight, with the western thing going through my head and as I write my short story western (inspired by this thread) I decided to buy Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

Interestingly, those exact books are just about the only westerns I've ever read and, so far as I'm concerned, they all qualified as outstanding. Cormac McCarthy may rightly be considered to be the better writer, but McMurtry's no slouch himself when it comes to spinning a yarn.

I will probably pick up McCarthy's No Country For Old Men, since it's now in paperback here and featuring in the 3 for 2s. I don't expect to read any of them until after the Booker is announced anyway.

Line on the Water by David Adams Richards. I bought this for an avid fisherman friend. I'm wondering if I'd be out of line if I read it before giving it to him. Just reading the first few pages, it looks great.

I decided to buy Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. it's been on my radar for long enough; I've just never really felt like buying it.

Lonesome Dove is truly a great book. All the books in that series are good but may I suggest Zeke and Ned - Larry McMurtry and Dianna Osanna(I think that's her name anyways). Not part of the Lonesome Dove series, it's another great McMurtry that kind of flies under the radar.

First Year Baby Care.

So there's some congratulations in order? Congratulations.

How is that Mitchell, dude? I *loved* Cloud Atlas, and I have his number9dream here.
I've only read forty pages of Black Swan Green. But, since I've been reading it, I've found time to get through Sam Selvon's The Lonely Londoners, Leo Tolstoy's The Death Of Ivan Ilyich, and I'm currently giving Truman Capote's Summer Crossing a second chance. So, not the best, I'd say if I get easily distracted from it.

But, that said, it's supposed to be his least good book, given that it doesn't have the scope that his others have had and, apparenlty, brilliantly executed. I think everyone would have you go for Cloud Atlas, as it's supposed to be his best work.

Back