• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Recently sent for "The Ringer." By EdgarWallace. Remember reading it when I was about 11. Loved it. Still waiting for it to arrive.
About to start another E.Wallace today. "Good Evans" published in 1930. Probably send for "The Four Just Men." Also by him.

Garage sale haul today; spent $4 on these:
Crossing the Danger Water:Three Hundred Years of African-American Writing, ed by Diedre Mullane
The Plague-Albert Camus
Their Eyes Were Watching God-Zora Neale Hurston
The Probably Future-Alice Hoffman
Solomon's Song-Toni Morrison
Pnin-Vladimir Nabakov
The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse- Louise Erdrich
The Crimson Petal and the White-Michael Faber

I have just finished reading "Good Evans". by Edgar Wallace. He usually wrote thrillers, but this is a humourous book about a racing tipster. Remonisant of Damon Runyon's Guys and Dolls.
He calls himself "Educated Evans." But he is far from being so. He is for ever rattling off facts and figures and historical bits that are always wrong. Here are a few examples.

"I'm thinking of wimmin like Bore-de-seeya, a wel known Roman queen that fought the ancient Britons in a charriot with a mowing machine tied to the spokes! What a woman!

Or Cleopatra whose needle we most admire.

Ireland was conquered by Richard Strongbow in 1066.

Chloroform was discovered by Dr Lister while trying to invent gunpowder.

You get the idea. I laughed out loud several times while reading this book,which was written in 1930. Finished it in a day.252 pages.
Walace is best known for his novels, The Four Just Men and The Ringer.

My first library book sale!

I went to my first library book sale Saturday.
  • Thinner - Richard Bachman/Stephen King
  • Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Stephen King
  • Four Past Midnight - Stephen King
  • Making Money - Terry Pratchett (I haven't read anything by him before)
  • The Vanishing - Bentley Little (I haven't read anything by him before either)
  • Airframe - Michael Crichton (picked this up for my boyfriend)

All hardcovers at $1 each.

Just finished "The Anatomy of Crime." by Joseph F. Dinneen. This book is a honey,a reconstruction of the Brinks robbery in America which netted $2,500,000. Not to be mistaken with the Matt Brinks robbery in england.

MMYAP. Let me know how you like the book

Refering to The Price of Butcher's Meat.

I'm really enjoying it. At first I wasn't too sure about the way the story was initiated by jumping back and forth between one character's email's to her sister and Dalziel's tape recording's of his thoughts while at the convalescent hospital. I thought it would be annoying but just about at the point where it does, it jumps into the murder and it really gets going. It was an interesting way to set the stage though.

I think I'm going to revisit more Reginald Hill. I haven't read Hill in a while and I think I've missed a good many of his newer works.

Bought 'A Darker Domain' by Val McDermid from charity shop. Never read McDermid before(crime),but was interested cos it features the 1984 miner's strike.

I just purchased and completed He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope, as well as Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (of course!), and Kurt Vonnegut's A Man Without a Country.

Nighmares & Dreamscapes - Stephen King - paperback - flea market $1
The Regulators - Stephen King (as Bachman) - hardback - flea market $3

I've just read Donohue's debut The Stolen Child which was excellent,so you'll have to let me know what you think.
Actually, I have already read this book. I purchased the rough cut in February and wanted to also purchase the finished product.

Here is a review of the book I wrote on amazon:

This book says much about the human condition, especially about the relationship between parent and child. The author paints so well in words the way we interact only on the surface, and fail to truly communicate our deepest hopes, loves, and fears. At moments, the book is heart-wrenching, not so much for what is said, but for what is unsaid. The characters are drawn so realistically, that when I was finished reading, I wanted to know what the future held for these people. The fantasy aspect to this book leaves much for one to question, but again, is that not part of the human condition?

I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys the fantastic, the painful, the hopeful, and the thoughtful. It grabs you by the heart from page one and does not let go. For those that have read The Stolen Child, I found this book to be superior, especially in terms of character development.

I would also like to add that there are some things in this book that are left unanswered or unexplained. Some may have a problem with that. I didn't, as it seemed to be the author's intent. I don't think he wanted everything to be black and white and clearly defined.

Back