• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Hi, I'm new to the forums...this is my first post. Today I just purchased Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I'm greatly looking forward to reading these.

Alright, Here is my list between the books my father gave to me and the books I went and purchased with all the gift certificates I got. Though when I went to the bookstore I was surprised by how many books they dit not have! Anyway, here are the gifts and purchases:

Small Island By Andrea Levy - I have heard you guys talk about it so much I had to get it.
Carney Folk by Francine Herberger- a history ofthe worlds weirdest side shows. Gift from my father.
The Sword and The Shield by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin- The mitrokihn archive and the secert history of the KGB
The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks- a book about a woman who, after the civil war, dedicates her life to the 1500 deceased soldiers she buried in her plantation.
Who cut the cheese? by Jim Dawson- A cultural history of the Fart, a gift from my father. The man gave all sorts of strange and silly books this year.
Lost Christianities by Bart Ehrman- A book about early christianities, scriptures which did not make it into the bible, and the b attles between the early faiths and how our current version of christianity came to be.
Kite Runner: Khaled Hosseini
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Sundown Towns by James Loewen- Regarding americas hidden racism and towns still passing laws against minorites.
A Seperate Peace by John Knowles- Set in an English boarding school during the early years of WW2, a tale about the dark side of adolescence.
Walter the Farting Dog:- a childrens book my father got me, It is actually a very sweet book. Written for 3-7 yr olds though.

Now the only dilemma is which book to read first. I am having serious trouble deciding.

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

...all for $17.00

UPS delivers again...!

Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Lighthouse by P.D. James
Small Island by Andrea Levy

/sigh/

so many books......so little time....

SHorn said:
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

...all for $17.00

Hey, when you get done with Mr. Murder can you let me know if it's anything like Stephen King's The Dark Half? Because after reading SOME of The Dark Half (I found it boring and could not finish it), I looked at Mr. Murder and they seem VERY similar.

pontalba said:
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Lighthouse by P.D. James
Small Island by Andrea Levy

/sigh/

so many books......so little time....

I'm loving The Lighthouse, but I'm about half way through it and I think I've figured out whodunit. I could be wrong, but ...

This has never happened before with me and a PD James novel. We'll see. :cool:

I simply love the setting for this one.

Had some spending cash from Christmas, so of course I spent it on books. :D

"The Trial" by Franz Kafka
"Pope Joan" by Donna Woolfolk Cross
"The Fastasy Writer's Assistant" by Jeffrey Ford
"Hidden Camera" by Zoran Zivkovic
"Lord Byron's Novel : The Evening Land" by John Crowley
"The Genizah At The House Of Shepher" by Tamar Yellin
"Monument" by Ian Graham
"Viriconium" by M. John Harrison

Just picked up Angels and Demons and plan on reading it just after I finsh the book I am on now... I hope it is good..

giddieon said:
Just picked up Angels and Demons and plan on reading it just after I finsh the book I am on now... I hope it is good..

Ahhh, wise choice. Be sure and head on over to the fiction section to see the "Angels & demons" thread. :cool:

I bought "The Passion of Artesimia" by Susan Vreeland yesterday. Barnes & Noble was having a pretty decent sale, but unfortunately that's all I could find. I enjoyed her book 'Girl in Hyacinth Blue,' and was curious to see what this one was all about.

peacefield said:
I bought "The Passion of Artesimia" by Susan Vreeland yesterday. Barnes & Noble was having a pretty decent sale, but unfortunately that's all I could find. I enjoyed her book 'Girl in Hyacinth Blue,' and was curious to see what this one was all about.

You have a real treat in store!:cool:

I bought it by accident a few years ago, and was so pleased with it!
Enjoy.:)

MonkeyCatcher said:
Just a quick question - how on earth do you buy something by accident? It sounds rather hard to do :eek:

Not if several are being purchased at the same time, and one is not quite able to make up ones mind.........but I am glad, as it was an interesting read, and as far as I know historically accurate (as far as it could be). :eek: :)

Just taken out of the library:

Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz

John Marsden - Tomorrow, When the War Began

Nevil Shute - On the Beach.

All have been recommended by TBF members, I think.

My latest library haul:

Suffer the Little Children:the Inside Story of Ireland's Industrial Schools-Mary Raftery
The Stonehenge Gate-Jack Williamson

The Traveler-John Twelve Hawks

Born Naked-Farley Mowat

I Took A Lickin and Kept on Tickin-Lewis Grizzard

The Butcher's Wife-Li Ang

As you can see, I really should make myself scarce around here;)

Miss Shelf said:
Excellent, CDA! We'll turn you into a Stewart clone yet! ;)
homer_bigdoh.gif

.......D'oh!

Back