• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

steffee said:
Ah! Lolita is great. All of Nabokov's works are great. Pnin is the best of his I've read so far; it's also the easiest read. Ada is very very clever, I'm gonna need at least one more reread to fully get that. It reminded me of Eco's The Name of the Rose, a little.

You'll most likely get swarmed by the Nabokovophiles amonst us now. ;)
:eek: :cool: :D :rolleyes: :p

pontalba said:
Regarding Bend Sinister in Brian Boyd's Vladimir Nabokov, The American Years, p.93 states as follows:
Nabokov above all things hated any type of police state. Well, look at his history, of course he did.

... and Freud, and religion, and establishments of any kind... ;) :D

Down To A Soundless Sea, Thomas Steinbeck. I thought it might be interesting to see what the Nobel laureate's son is like.

Stewart said:
Down To A Soundless Sea, Thomas Steinbeck. I thought it might be interesting to see what the Nobel laureate's son was like.
Please post your opinion on the book. It is intriguing.

Stewart said:
Down To A Soundless Sea, Thomas Steinbeck. I thought it might be interesting to see what the Nobel laureate's son is like.

I saw that the other day and wondered too. I'm with muggle, please let us know what you think.

On friday I went out and bought Sir Thursday by Garth Nix. I also bought a manga (DN Angel volume 6). My local Ottakars now has a manga collector's card, which if you buy three you get the fourth free (you don't have to buy them all at once). :)

The London shopping spree haul:
Being: The Return of a most Intrepid Heroine to Sea and Secrets - Piratica II - Presented Most Handsomely by The Notorious Tanith Lee
Tom Holland: The Vampyre - The secret history of Lord Byron
Malcolm Pryce: Aberystwyth mon amour; Last tango in Aberystwyth
Philip Pullman: The tin princess - A swashbuckling Victorian thriller
sampler extracts of Christopher Moore
Sarah Waters: Fingersmith
Jeanette Winterson: The passion
Catherine Webb: The extraordinary and unusual adventures of Horatio Lyle
Cornelia Funke: Inkspell
Ramona Badescu & Benjamin Chaud; Pomelo se demande (translation forthcoming)

*mrkgnao*

This past weekend I got to go Powell's (my heaven in downtown Portland- if only I wasn't always being dragged away by others!), Borders to spend my Christmas gift cards, and a quick stop at Barnes and Noble.

Powell's:
Guardians of the West- David Eddings
Beowulf (for $1.50- hopefully it's a good translation)
A Latin Primer (a personal prop for a school play. But perhaps I'll learn Latin also)

Borders
A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens
The World According to Garp- John Irving
Peter Pan- J.M. Barrie
Belgarath the Sorcerer- David Eddings

Barnes and Noble
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass- Lewis Carroll (I couldn't resist. It was a mini hardcover edition, with smooth gold-edged pages and a built-in ribbon bookmark. Plus it was 40% off. I'm a sucker for these kinds of things)

Oh! How marvelous that you get to actually go to Powells! It must be an amazing place, I certainly love their website!!

And 40% off is always a good thing! :cool:

pontalba said:
Oh! How marvelous that you get to actually go to Powells! It must be an amazing place, I certainly love their website!!

And 40% off is always a good thing! :cool:

Powells?? Is this some magical literary kingdom I've not heard of? Must go google and research.;)

Powell's is amazing. I always get dragged away before I get to spend an hour there- not nearly enough time! You can always come away with a good deal there.

They offer maps at the front door, just because it's so huge- perhaps the biggest bookstore in the nation, though I've heard rumors that there's one bigger in New York. I personally haven't gotten lost in a while, but I got a good scolding from my parents when I was 8 for 'running away' from them, when really I was sitting in the same place the entire time. They just couldn't find where they had left me.

If anyone ever plans on coming into Portland, I'd be glad to give more info.

From the used bookstore:
Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman
The Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda
My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey
Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp

For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway
The Snows Of Kilimanjaro, Ernest Hemingway
Death In The Afternoon, Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man And The Sea, Ernest Hemingway
Across The River And Into The Trees, Ernest Hemingway
Men Without Women, Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemingway
To Have And Have Not, Ernest Hemingway
Green Hills Of Africa, Ernest Hemingway
True At First Light, Ernest Hemingway
Ward 6 and Other Stories, Anton Chekhov
Cry, The Beloved Country, Alan Paton

I went to a used bookstore the other day and bought a book in their new arrivals shelf (the brand new books section). I got In Cold Blood. It was about $22, but I really wanted it and just couldn't get my mind away from getting it. And yes, I looked to see if they had a used copy, but I couldn't find it (probably was looking in the wrong section :eek: ).

I'm trying to be completist with certain authors. Ishiguro is complete.

Steinbeck, Nabokov, Hemingway, Yates, Fante; and then I'll see where I go from there. Although, of course, I don't exclusively buy them.

jaynebosco said:
I went to a used bookstore the other day and bought a book in their new arrivals shelf (the brand new books section). I got In Cold Blood. It was about $22, but I really wanted it and just couldn't get my mind away from getting it. And yes, I looked to see if they had a used copy, but I couldn't find it (probably was looking in the wrong section :eek: ).

Should have used eBay; some are selling for less than C$6 here.

Stewart said:
I'm trying to be completist with certain authors. Ishiguro is complete.

Steinbeck, Nabokov, Hemingway, Yates, Fante; and then I'll see where I go from there. Although, of course, I don't exclusively buy them.

[/url].

Don't you feel great knowing you've completed your Dan Brown collection already? ;) Looks like you'll have plenty to read for awhile, anyway!

Back