• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

If you can get anything out of that, or even penetrate Laxness's prose, then let me know. I really struggled with that and gave up after 100 pages, although I think I'd given up after page one and was just pushing myself. I have no idea what he's on about most of the time and even the book I did finish, The Atom Station, I had no idea what was going on. People just come and go with no introducion, all nicknamed up, and then vanish again.

If you can get anything out of that, or even penetrate Laxness's prose, then let me know. I really struggled with that and gave up after 100 pages, although I think I'd given up after page one and was just pushing myself. I have no idea what he's on about most of the time and even the book I did finish, The Atom Station, I had no idea what was going on. People just come and go with no introducion, all nicknamed up, and then vanish again.

Okay. Thanks for the fair warning.

I am actually reading Independent People next- after my current book, Wicked.

Charles Vess

Today at Half Price Books, I got an additional 50% off of Charles Vess' "The Book of Ballads" (with Emma Bull, Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman, Sharyn McCrumb, Jeff Smith, Jane Yolen, etc.)
Charles Vess is a fantastic artist.

076531214X.jpg
From the book jacket (2004):
As an illustrator and a collaborator, Charles Vess has worked with Neil Gaiman (with whom he shared a World Fantasy Award for the "Midsummer Night's Dream" issue of Sandman); with Charles de Lint on children's books and illustrated novels; and with Jeff Smith on the Bone prequel, Rose. Vess has also won two solo World Fantasy Awards. His Ballads series won him the comic book industry's prestigious Eisner Award. He is currently illustrating a special limited edition of George R. R. Martin's bestseller A Storm of Swords.
He also did the artwork for Neil Gaiman's Stardust.
Stardust - Official Movie Site (in theaters next month!): http://www.stardustmovie.com/

Today at Half Price Books, I got an additional 50% off of Charles Vess' "The Book of Ballads" (with Emma Bull, Charles de Lint, Neil Gaiman, Sharyn McCrumb, Jeff Smith, Jane Yolen, etc.)
Charles Vess is a fantastic artist.

076531214X.jpg
From the book jacket (2004):

He also did the artwork for Neil Gaiman's Stardust.
Stardust - Official Movie Site (in theaters next month!): http://www.stardustmovie.com/

I read this a couple of years ago and loved it! I like the series of 'fractured fairy tales' edited by Teri Windling and Ellen Datlow. My favorite so far is The Faery Reel:Tales From the Twighlight Realm. http://tinyurl.com/2dsjp3

I haven't been keeping up with my recent buys...but here they are. These I bought within the last 1-2 weeks....

Salvation Army/Half-Price Books

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb295_redglazzies_thrifties.jpg

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
Mirror, Mirror - Gregory Maguire
Hip: The History - John Leland
The Road - Cormac Macarthy
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien

Total: $6.00....that's not including the hamster...hehehe...

Amazon

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb295_redglazzies_amazon.jpg

Layer Cake - J.J. Connolly
Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
The Stranger - Albert Camus

Total: $28.00

By the way, does anyone else get that rush of adrenaline when the UPS guy comes with a nice big box of books for you??:D :D :D Ahhhh....:)

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs
Fit for Life by Harvey Diamond (non-fiction)

By the way, does anyone else get that rush of adrenaline when the UPS guy comes with a nice big box of books for you??:D :D :D Ahhhh....:)

But of couuuurse. :p

This month was like Christmas for me! I never buy new books, but I think I'm getting over that tic:

Animal, Vegetable & Mineral - Barbara Kingsolver
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
Spanish Demystified :cool:
An Assault on Reason - Al Gore

I think Hosseini will be next on my list... I love having all these choices!

By the way, does anyone else get that rush of adrenaline when the UPS guy comes with a nice big box of books for you??:D :D :D Ahhhh....:)[/quote]

As a matter of fact, we're waiting for a visit from that handsome guy in brown any day now...you know we have it bad when we're lusting after a box of school books. I've already warned the urchins to keep their paws off. MOM gets first dibs on opening the box!!

The Welsh Girl, Peter Ho Davies
Master Pip, Lloyd Jones
Animal's People, Indra Sinha
Life On The Mississippi, Mark Twain

As a matter of fact, we're waiting for a visit from that handsome guy in brown any day now...you know we have it bad when we're lusting after a box of school books. I've already warned the urchins to keep their paws off. MOM gets first dibs on opening the box!![/QUOTE]
I so want to order books and look forward to their arrival. No more pleasure books for awhile, but I will be going to buy school books tomorrow. Don't think I'm desperate enough to lust after those though... ;)

It's been weeks since I bought a new book. It's doing wonders for chipping away at my TBR mountain. Small chips, but at least it's getting smaller.

Back