• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I am starting out with the narration by Anonymous.What did you think about it, and which one did you enjoy more?
Libra,
If that is the Penguin Classics "anonymous" which begins

"I will proclaim to the worlds the deeds of Gilgamesh. This was the man to whom all things were known; this was the king who knew the countries of the world. He was wise, he saw mysteries and knew secret things. He brought us a tale of the days before the flood. He went on a long journey, was weary, worn-out with labor, returning he rested, he engraved on a stone the whole story."

I think it is fantastic! The story always just blows me away and I don't think I can enjoy any one version more than the other. There is just something about it, being from the early days of humanity and civilization. The different phrasings in the different translations just make each one seem to me vivid and original in its own way. I don't think you can go wrong. :)

Libra,
If that is the Penguin Classics "anonymous" which begins

I think it is fantastic! The story always just blows me away and I don't think I can enjoy any one version more than the other. There is just something about it, being from the early days of humanity and civilization. The different phrasings in the different translations just make each one seem to me vivid and original in its own way. I don't think you can go wrong. :)

Have not recieved it yet. I will let you know as soon as I do.:)

I just got four books from Borders. Each book was only a dollar!

The Little Balloonist, Linda Donn

Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn, Gary M. Pomerantz

109 East Palace, Jennet Conant

Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, James W. Loewen

Gosh, I haven't really bought any books lately. I get them from the library. I did bid on one on ebay for my sister called REDISCOVERING JACOB RIIS. Not really sure about it, but she sure is excited. I do buy books from salvation army and places like that. I bought MIDDLESEX from our Hospice House Store that I am taking to the beach to read. (I can't get my library books wet!) I go to the library once a week and always have 5 to 7 new books on hand.

I just went to the thrift store and got a bunch of books!

Saffron Skies by Lesley Lokko
Legion by William Peter Blatty
Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
The Omen by David Seltzer
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Norton Anthology of Short Fiction
The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination by Gilbert and Gubar
Mortarville by Grant Bailie

Profiles in Courage -- John F. Kennedy
Michael Jackson (the magic and the madness) -- J. Randy Taraborrelli
A Year in Province -- Peter Mayle
The Road Ahead -- Bill Gates

Raven's End by Ben Gadd and Skywater by Melinda Worth Popham both via Alibris shipped from the U.S,but actually very cheap.

Thanks to the wonderful Salvation Army store just down the street ($.50 a paperback!) I just picked up the following:

Toxin, Robin Cook
The Throat, Peter Straub
Midnight, Dean Koontz
Tick Tock, Dean Koontz
Icebound, Dean Koontz
Persuader, Lee Child
Cat and Mouse, James Patterson
Prey, Michael Crichton
The Last Juror, John Grisham

I also picked up The Lost Constitution by William Martin (currently reading), and it's quite the read!

Back