• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Three Seconds - Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom

The Teapot Dome Scandal - Laton McCartney

The Last Street Novel - Omar Tyree

Three Seconds - Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not a big fan of the Scandinavian detective genre, to say the least, but what I've read of Roslund & Hellström is at least a lot better than most of their colleagues.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not a big fan of the Scandinavian detective genre, to say the least, but what I've read of Roslund & Hellström is at least a lot better than most of their colleagues.

I'm curious about this one too. It's started to get some hype here in the states.

Heh, heh. :) Yes, it spoke to me in the store and I'll be getting right on it. I'm glad Scandinavian detectives came along, ever since I first came across Sjowall and Wahloo (sp?). I read them in preference to others when I see them.

Just checked out The Elegance of the Hedgehog and What the Dog Saw as well as a few others from the library. Have started both and am fairly certain that I am going to enjoy them both :)

The Virtues of War by Steven Pressfield
Rebels of Babylon by Owen Parry
The Last Detective by Robert Crais
The Judgment of Caesar by Steven Saylor
Rubicon by Steven Saylor

Almost give-aways at the Library sale, all clean hardcover:

Something's Down There - Mickey Spillane

The Scourge of God - William Dietrich

Cold Hit - Stephen Cannel

The Mercedes Coffin - Faye Kellerman

Back Story - Robert B. Parker

Shogun - James Clavell
White Noise - Don DeLillo
Underworld - Don DeLillo
The Sportswriter - Richard Ford

Just bought, and yet to read, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and borrowed from a friend For Esme - With Love and Squalor by J. D. Salinger

Midwinter Of The Spirit by Phil Rickman
Corsair by Tim Severin

Didn't you recently read Severin's Viking series, which starts with Odin's Child? I think I read that one myself. Mr.Abc and I both enjoyed his Brendan Voyage. Time to investigate further; Corsair looks promising. Do tell!

In the euphoria of just having added a new 8-ft bookcase -- 48 new feet of shelves -- we went out and added a few books to celebrate the occasion. :D

Wolf Among Wolves - Hans Fallada

In Praise of the Stepmother - Mario Vargas Llosa

A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick

Churchill's Secret Agent by Max and Linda Ciampoli
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
The Diary by Eileen Goudge
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
61 Hours by Lee Child

For the new shelves.

Forgot to add:

Nell Gwyn, Mistress to a King by Charles Beauclerk [a direct descendant of Gwyn and Charles II]
The Vertigo Years, Europe, 1900-1914 by Philipp Blom

Some new e-purchases.

Executive Presence Harrison Monarth

Unprotected Texts: the Bible's surprising contradictions about sex and desire; Jennifer Wright Knust

A New Kind of Christianity; Brian D. McLaren

Known and Unkown; Donald Rumsfeld

Reagan in his own words; Kiron K. Skinner, et al

Blindness - Jose Saramago
The Tale of the Unknown Island - Jose Saramago
Song of the Silent Snow - Hubert Selby Jr
Brilliance of the Moon - Lian Hearn
The Harsh Cry of the Heron - Lian Hearn

I need to stop buying full series when it's obvious I won't read them for a few years. :innocent:

Back