• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Thoughts - Seneka
The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy - D. Adams

Pablo Neruda's selected Peoms :)

I will, for sure, get more of his poems. They are so wonderful! Passionate, beautiful and complex. I have to get 20 love poems ( thanks to Irene for details about that edition :) )

Great stuff! Recommend everybody his work!

Today I bought:

3 Hearts/3 Lions & The Broken Sword omnibus- Poul Anderson

Ilium- Dan Simmons

King Rat- China Mieville

RaVeN

Broken sword is FANTASTIC! You will enjoy! :D 3 hearts is on my "to buy" list :)

Let me know what you think of them both!

A nice big Amazon order is being processed as we speak:

The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (thanks to Litany for that one!)
On Liberty and Other Essays by J.S. Mill
Utopia by Thomas More

Arrive, curse you!

Themistocles said:
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (thanks to Litany for that one!)

Hurrah! It's a good book. His blurb about computers is a little out of date, but that's to be expected and that's not what the book's about anyway.

If I can just get five more people to read my recommendations, Satan will let me have my soul back.

Themistocles,

Looking at your list, I wonder if you have read Thomas Paine? Common Sense and The Age of Reason are two works that could use a little circulation here in America now.

Novella

novella said:
Themistocles,

Looking at your list, I wonder if you have read Thomas Paine? Common Sense and The Age of Reason are two works that could use a little circulation here in America now.

Novella

I haven't as of yet read any Thomas Paine, and obviously A Vindication of the Rights of Man is the one of his that I want to read first. If you recommend him, then he'll be next on my list - I'm trying to divide my attentions equally between political/philosophical works and fiction, and I was planning on purchasing Hobbes' 'Leviathan' after reading the ones from my latest order, but perhaps some Paine would be more suitable.

I do recommend Paine, and IMO he follows on to Mill very well. Paine's clarity and plainness of language and expansiveness thought are remarkable and happily free of many of the subtle classisms that creep into political writing of that period and earlier.

novella said:
I do recommend Paine, and IMO he follows on to Mill very well. Paine's clarity and plainness of language and expansiveness thought are remarkable and happily free of many of the subtle classisms that creep into political writing of that period and earlier.

Sounds very interesting. I had considered Bentham as a natural stepping-stone from Mill (being a major influence and fellow utilitarian), but I may go with Paine instead.

Eva Luna By Isabel Allende! I think this is going to be a wonderful book! Looking foward to reading this one.

Is everyone's bookstore having a 3 for 2 sale???? I pretty much have to order off of Amazon, the only bookstore around here that is halfway decent is a used one. My library costs 35 dollars for a membership (yearly) and they don't have much there either. The only big bookstore is an hour away and they charge obscene prices that Amazon beats hands-down.
*Sigh* That's what happens when you live in Maine :\

Edit: O yeah, btw, I just bought:
Heart of Darkness by Conrad
Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Notes from the Underground, the Double, and Other Stories also by Dostoevsky
For those of you who complain about Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov is 930 pages long, about size 8 print.

Back