• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

shoes or bare feet in your house?

Shoes come off right when you enter the door. Is that rude to ask others to do the same when they walk in?

one foot yes-two feet no. I agree completely.

And sandals are the best thing ever invented. I hate wearing dress shoes, I like my feet to "breath"-curse the formal working world.

I have bare feet in the house but I sometimes wear socks. I have slippers and sometimes wear them but they are big winter slippers and tend to slip of my feet! :mad:

Ria said:
Shoes come off right when you enter the door. Is that rude to ask others to do the same when they walk in?
I don't think that it is - I always take my shoes off if I'm going into another person's house. It's just polite.

Ria said:
Nope - we nearly always take ours of at friends houses :) Though when visiting people I know less well, I am generally guided by what the host does.

I grew up in a house where shoes were worn indoors all the time, the same with the rest of my family. My parents generally put their shoes on when they got dressed in the morning, but I'd never put 'em on until I was going out for the day, and they usually came off pretty soon after getting home. In Canada, on the other hand, I find that nearly everybody takes shoes off at the door - with good reason too! It gets damn gross in winter! It's put me in the habit of taking my shoes off whenever I get in the door back in Australia. I think it's a great idea - saves the carpet, and saves your feet from getting all sweaty, mouldy and gross. Oh, and I just *adore* slippers!!

The one thing I *hate* is people who are totally anal about you walking in shoes through their home, even if the shoes are clean as a whistle and it's just to duck back into the living room to grab your bag or whatever before you go outside. I had a friend growing up who's family was like that. It didn't matter that you were stepping 3 metres across the carpet with glisteningly clean shoes, you had to take them off. Drove me nuts, especially as I'm super forgetful!

shoes weren't allowed in my old apartment since the carpets were crappy as it was. now shoes aren't avoided b/c of the marble - ahaaa.. i dont find it comfortable. theres tons of girls who take off their shoes in school (we have carpeted floors) i used to do that but i can't remember the last time i did..

I have wondered about the shoe rule in people's houses. I grew up with my grandma, and she hated barefeet, and would call my brothers and me "hillbillies". She looked down on us for it, but I found out later that it was a normal practice for some homes.
I have noticed that I get a runny nose in the morning if my feet get cold... but as for now, they're bare ;)

I used to go barefoot around the house all the house. Then a couple of years ago I discovered The Flylady (home management guru) and one of her cardinal rule is to put on lace-up shoes every morning because it is better for your legs, feet, and back. It also signals the brain that one is ready to begin the day. Anyway, I started doing that, even though my sink rarely gets shined, and I found my feet gettin injured less, even just around the house. I can't count the times I've stepped on hidden pins and bits of broken toothpicks (don't ask!) and had to remove them myself because everyone else is too grossed out to be of any true value. I also like not having to scramble for shoes if I need to run outside.

It has to be bare foot all the way!

Nothing beats getting home from a hard day at work, pulling off your shoes and socks, and going aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I only put on shoes if I am going out. If it's not cold then I don't even put clothes on... ( said he stitting typing this in his boxers ) unless somebody is visiting of course :D

Not putting shoes on tells me brain to put out the "Don't disturb sign" because it's probably a day off or the weeekend and I am going to be damn lazy and enjoy it!

I'm a barefeet girl all the way. I only wear shoes when I am outside, or in a building where they are required (like stores, resturants, etc). Even then, it's usually a pair of clogs, sandles or unzipped work boots. The nice thing about working at night is that I can pad around in my socks while I am at base because there are no managers to see me. I prefer not to wear the socks either, but sometimes it is too cold at home and I think barefeet at work might be too much, even for me.

I saw a 20-somethin guy I knew wearing SOCKS AND SANDALS!!! how disgusting. Really, people need to show some decency... and especially in Church.
other than that, my socks were turned black by cheap walmart shoes. whatever.

lovermuffin said:
I saw a 20-somethin guy I knew wearing SOCKS AND SANDALS!!!

hermmm....I wear socks and sandals sometimes. I don't do it often, and generally only when kicking around doing casual things in places where jeans or workout pants are considered acceptable. There are times when it is just too cold for sandals alone, and I always hate wearing shoes.

abecedarian said:
I used to go barefoot around the house all the house. Then a couple of years ago I discovered The Flylady (home management guru) and one of her cardinal rule is to put on lace-up shoes every morning because it is better for your legs, feet, and back. It also signals the brain that one is ready to begin the day. Anyway, I started doing that, even though my sink rarely gets shined, and I found my feet gettin injured less, even just around the house. I can't count the times I've stepped on hidden pins and bits of broken toothpicks (don't ask!) and had to remove them myself because everyone else is too grossed out to be of any true value. I also like not having to scramble for shoes if I need to run outside.
Hey, I try to FLY too. She's why I started to wear shoes in the house.

Back