• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Short Fiction: Anne and her stories

Thanks Raven! I am glad you liked it! :)

Yes, I did say it was my gift :) After I wrote that, I was worried because maybe people took it the wrong way. Maybe they will think I am being conceited? I did mean that I wanted to give a gift. Stories are wonderful. That is why I read. That is why we all read. I think a story is the best gift you could give somebody. That is all I was trying to say :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Mile-O-Phile said:
It's not at all (just to disagree :) ). It's unnecessary but I wouldn't say it's pointless.

I'll try to explain then.

• SillyWabbit - You write because you love to write. What you produce, to you, is the story. That's it, that's the work. You are claiming that the story comes to you through the character like Gabriel (through Mohammed) producing the Qu'ran. Once it's complete, that's it. Paragraphs of love.
  • Mile-O-Phile - He writes because he has to write. It's not a pressure, it's a natural function: eat, sleep, defecate, procreate, write. Once the work is complete I'll review it and open it up for critique to find subconscious nonsense that I won't immediately spot. I invent the characters and write their stories. If I do a good job moulding a character's personality then they will lead the narrative. I won't say that the character wrote it. That's just authorial bull****. Once it's complete, I'll attempt to redraft it. Paragraphs of necessity.

I think that's where we are coming from. ;)

MMMMMM KINDA :)

I am not saying the character wrote it, not exactly. You are kinda write. I get this feeling. This vision. My heart is racing and my fingers fly. I write the whole thing no matter how long it takes. I don't know what it will be able. Yes, it's like somebody takes control of me. I know that sounds really stupid but it's the only way I can tell you it. After I write I leave it for a day or so. I go back and look at what I wrote. I edit what needs to be edited. That's how it is :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
Yes, I did say it was my gift :) After I wrote that, I was worried because maybe people took it the wrong way. Maybe they will think I am being conceited? I did mean that I wanted to give a gift. Stories are wonderful. That is why I read. That is why we all read. I think a story is the best gift you could give somebody. That is all I was trying to say :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

And that's the way I took it.

Thank you for the gift. I would never exchange one that a friend gave me ;)

RaVeN

I think it's a very heartfelt, moving story. Though the diction is simple, it gets the point across very quickly and effectively. I don't know how to quote on here yet, but there are a lot of phrases that I really enjoyed and I think you did a great job with this.

Wabbit -- your story is of quite some time ago, but I just got to it, and the thread's not closed, so I just have to comment. You have amazed me. Your story is one of the best things I've read in a long long time. Somehow I could just see that child telling stories to voters at the town hall, and basking in their applause. Reminds me of a kid I invented, matter of fact.

How did your story come in for all that heavy-handed criticism? Makes me wonder, have you made enemies of those people, and they've just been waiting around for a chance to kick you, or what?

Such nit-picking, small-minded criticism it was, too. Silly little critiques. As if a few mis-spellings and misplaced words were of some kind of overiding importance, for Chrissake. Anna broke right through even my pedagoguery, (?) so it must have worked. I loved it. Thanks for letting us see it. Hope we might see more.

Sun-SSS said:
Wabbit -- your story is of quite some time ago, but I just got to it, and the thread's not closed, so I just have to comment. You have amazed me. Your story is one of the best things I've read in a long long time. Somehow I could just see that child telling stories to voters at the town hall, and basking in their applause. Reminds me of a kid I invented, matter of fact.

Thanks a lot! :)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the story so much! I actually have posted a few other things here if you look through the threads here. Maybe you would enjoy those too. And thank you for the compliment about my writing :) The most important thing though is that you enjoyed the story. Anna came to me with her stories and I shared them here, and I am glad to have shared them with you and given you something good.

How did your story come in for all that heavy-handed criticism? Makes me wonder, have you made enemies of those people, and they've just been waiting around for a chance to kick you, or what?

Such nit-picking, small-minded criticism it was, too. Silly little critiques. As if a few mis-spellings and misplaced words were of some kind of overriding importance, for Chrissake. Anna broke right through even my pedagoguery, (?) so it must have worked. I loved it. Thanks for letting us see it. Hope we might see more.

Welll... I think things speak for themselves here and in some other threads around. Best I say nothing on the subject :)

I may post some other thing to writers showcase in the future. Life has been kinda wild of the last year what with working a lot and a few other things but now I have more time and things are a little more settled then maybe I can write some other thing and post it here. Hopefully somebody will like.

Again, glad you liked my story and thanks for commenting!

Silly Wabbit -- I liked it. It's not perfect, but overall I liked it. To me it had the "feel" of a very tired old woman who is a little senile and keeps repeating herself. As with many older people I've known she has clearer memories and a greater fondness for "the old days" than she does for the present. I don't feel as though she is "all there," but is together enough to sense something very "off" about the change in the man and the final destination.

Thank you for your input and I am glad that you liked it :)

YES! You are totally write about her! I am glad because that's how it is. She is very old and tired and lost in the past. I wouldn't go as far to say senile but more locked in the past. Anna is hiding somewhere deep in a safe part of her soul where she is a little girl again and all the horror can't touch her.

Anna will remain a little girl to me, telling her stories and feeling proud, and feeling guilt for that small sin. Wabbit made us love who she she was, then made us watch her being sent to a death camp -- all in that short space of words. This is powerful stuff.

I feel sympathy for those posters above unable to appreciate that.

It was beautiful, sillywabbit. I liked the following especially:

Sillywabbit said:
I became an old woman, I would tell stories to the grandchildren that flocked around my skirts. They would all come running. Grandma, Grandma, please tell us a story! I would smile and tell them of coarse. I would tell them about the old days because you have to know where you come from to know where you are going. I would tell the children about our people because it’s important to know who you are. And sometimes, I would tell them stories about the giants.

So I talked in the darkness to the warm hands. They listened. Though nobody clapped me, but we all felt better.

I remember the first time the door opened to the winter world and he stood there. Michelangelo could have carved him with his very own hands from the finest, smoothest, whitest of marble stone. He had handsome blue eyes. And he asked me that I was the one that told stories. I was very slow to answer, but I said yes. And what else could I have done? So he asked me to tell him. About the old days. About giants. About everything and he listened. He never said anything but a smile would break out on his lips when I was done and it was time for him to go. He would thank me. Then he would leave. And so it would go.

Now he says soon our time together is at an end. He has asked me to write down my stories for him. And how could I say no? So. And here I am with this fine pen and this luxurious paper in my hand. The paper smells good and is rough between my fingers. It’s strange that I am here. Like a flower, pressed and preserved, between the pages of a book. Here is me. Anna. Preserved between lines and the words. I will always be here.

you wrote really well. it was like the lyrical soft melancholy romote murmuring.

Thank you for sharing.

Goodday,

Sun-SSS said:
Anna will remain a little girl to me, telling her stories and feeling proud, and feeling guilt for that small sin. Wabbit made us love who she she was, then made us watch her being sent to a death camp -- all in that short space of words. This is powerful stuff.

I feel sympathy for those posters above unable to appreciate that.

watercrystal said:
It was beautiful, sillywabbit. I liked the following especially:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillywabbit
I became an old woman, I would tell stories to the grandchildren that flocked around my skirts. They would all come running. Grandma, Grandma, please tell us a story! I would smile and tell them of coarse. I would tell them about the old days because you have to know where you come from to know where you are going. I would tell the children about our people because it’s important to know who you are. And sometimes, I would tell them stories about the giants.

So I talked in the darkness to the warm hands. They listened. Though nobody clapped me, but we all felt better.

I remember the first time the door opened to the winter world and he stood there. Michelangelo could have carved him with his very own hands from the finest, smoothest, whitest of marble stone. He had handsome blue eyes. And he asked me that I was the one that told stories. I was very slow to answer, but I said yes. And what else could I have done? So he asked me to tell him. About the old days. About giants. About everything and he listened. He never said anything but a smile would break out on his lips when I was done and it was time for him to go. He would thank me. Then he would leave. And so it would go.

Now he says soon our time together is at an end. He has asked me to write down my stories for him. And how could I say no? So. And here I am with this fine pen and this luxurious paper in my hand. The paper smells good and is rough between my fingers. It’s strange that I am here. Like a flower, pressed and preserved, between the pages of a book. Here is me. Anna. Preserved between lines and the words. I will always be here.

you wrote really well. it was like the lyrical soft melancholy romote murmuring.

Thank you for sharing.

Goodday,

Thank you :) I am glad you liked it and found it beautiful. You are welcome for me sharing Anna and her stories. Now she will live in the hearts of everybody that liked her story. I think she would like that.

Abulafia said:
I don't want your sympathy. :D

Oh …I see … Ok …I retract.
Actually, I'm confused. I don't see a critique by you, above, Abulafia. I think I was referring to Mile-O-Phile, and others less didactic. Please excuse me if I'm wrong.

You can't always get what you want.
But if you try some time,
You just might find
:) :) :rolleyes:
You can get what you neeeeed…

Back