• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sterotyping people that read.

Aaron S.

Im 17 years old and i love reading and i have no shame in letting people know, i love classics Great Expectations is my favourite novel, my point is that it is rare to find anyone that loves reading at my age and most people who do are steryotyped as 'losers'

What are your opinions on young adults reading and why a lot of young people assume that reading is for 'loosers and nerds' and also why alot of young adults do not give books a chance.

I have a colllection of young adult readers in my family, and I must say they've each experienced similar reactions from their peers as you describe. Not all of them, mind. They have a few friends who read too, but for the most part, the overall reaction is often, 'OMG, I haven't touched a book in ages!" I'd like to tell you this is just a young adult problem, but as we've discussed at length in other threads here at Book and Reader, that's simply not true. In many ways, the 'world' looks at Readers with a certain amount of disdain. I think some of it stems from ignorance, while some is purely from non readers trying to soothe their own minds over their lack of interest. A Sort of, 'If I make you look small, I'll look bigger' mindset. What separates US from THEM is a drive to say, 'so what; I'll read anyway!' Perhaps that's the thin line that separates a young adult reader from one who is simply an adult who reads.

I've never in my life felt bad about being a reader. If anybody's ever made fun of me for being one I can't recall. And if they did I would look at them with a mixture of pity and disdain. Pity because they are so ignorant as to think reading is a bad thing. Disdain for being dimwitted enough to think they could actually make me feel bad about being able to read and enjoy it.

It's sad, but it's just another aspect of the dumbing of America.

In short: Everybody stereotypes everybody else. Readers aren't immune to such ignorance.

To be truthful, when reading in public, I have never felt the heavy eyes being cast upon me. Just forget the buffoons and read on...they're just jealous of you for they only read the comic strips and road signs...not even that.

What are your opinions on young adults reading and why a lot of young people assume that reading is for 'loosers and nerds' and also why alot of young adults do not give books a chance.

You have to realise and appreciate that this is the age of games consoles, reality tv, instant gratification, and.....dwindling concentration levels.

When given the choice of either sitting down and concentrating through a well written thriller novel, or sitting for an hour watching '24' once a week where you are guaranteed to get explosions and everything else every 10 mins, the majority in this day and age are going to go with the TV show, or the computer game based on the TV show to get their entertainment.

The people who are able to appreciate the written word are for me, the only people who will be able to reap the full enjoyment out of a story.
Who besides me read Hannibal by Thomas Harris for example, lived the story out in their imagination only to then be disappointed by the film? The ones who don't 'get' books will only ever have some film Director's take on the story, where as the people who read the book each have their own personal take on it.

Laugh at the irony of their ridicule Aaron

I have two son's that caught the love of reading in grade school when the Harry Potter series came out. They also did all of the normal teenage stuff like video games, texting, MMORPG, hanging out with friends, and the like. They are now both adults and every year they spend more time reading and less time with the other activities.

Don't worry about what others think of you. Do the things you love in life and you'll always find happiness.

I have been an avid reader since I read "It" by Stephen King when I was fourteen. I always read in public, in a small town where it seemed no one else read. I was never picked on, but I never noticed anyway. It was not "cool", but it seems to me sometimes trying to fit in and being like everyone else is not cool either...

Just have fun with it and be different by being yourself! Embrace it and be proud of it!!

Justin

I have been an avid reader since I read "It" by Stephen King when I was fourteen. I always read in public, in a small town where it seemed no one else read. I was never picked on, but I never noticed anyway. It was not "cool", but it seems to me sometimes trying to fit in and being like everyone else is not cool either...

Just have fun with it and be different by being yourself! Embrace it and be proud of it!!

Justin

That's the key. Read and be proud. A soft answer turns away wrath, so just smile and let them wonder what they're missing.

Well, you won't be a "young adult" forever but your love affair with books will last a lifetime :D

But there's nothing wrong with enjoying TV and movies as well. Which I do, A LOT. One of the thrills of being a reader who also enjoys movies and TV is that sometimes you can tell where the scriptwriters got their inspiration from. Anyone who's ever done anything even remotely creative most probably got the idea from something they read, even if they don't realize it.

So I'd say, keep on reading but don't forget to listen to music, watch (good) movies and smart TV shows, be curious about the world, use technology to broaden your horizons and enjoy everything you do.

:flowers:

I don't think they are considered "losers". I think many teens have a problem fitting in, causing depression. So they use books as escape, sometimes taking them away from people even more. Using all free time to read. Reading is awesome but people shouldn't give up all free time for it.Anyways i read a lot when i was a teen and no one cared.It is more the way people portray themselves i think then the fact they read.

The only time I found people being labeled as "losers" for reading was back in high-school, I find the older you get the less people care. In truth reading takes concentration and a lot of people don't read because they don't have the patience. Read on I say... it's good for the brain and the imagination!

I think this is largely due to the fact that younger generations are increasingly in front of a screen rather than in front of a book. Reading is only considered normal when it's reading on the internet, a sad state of affairs. Don't let it bother you, once you're older you'll realize popularity never really mattered, only those select few people you call true friends are what count in the long run.

Thanks for the responses, i think i put my point accross wrong a bit, im not embaressed in anyway about reading, i play video games, i play drums im in a band etc, but i just get annoyed at people who say things like 'why you reading you looser' or readings for nerds' etc

Also to Chris, i know what you mean my real friends have no problem with me reading, they know its what i enjoy doing and have no problem, also my girlfriend loves reading which is perfect :p

but i just get annoyed at people who say things like 'why you reading you looser' or readings for nerds' etc

People really say that to you??? Man, maybe the times really have changed. I graduated high school in '93 and I read all the time in school. I don't ever remember being ridiculed for it. I got a few comments when I was reading The Stand that amounted to things like "Holy crap that is a big book. I could never read something that long." But it was never accompanied with any scorn.

You're certainly not a looser for reading. Pitty those who think otherwise. As for "nerd"? Hell yeah! Where that word as a badge of honor.

People really say that to you??? Man, maybe the times really have changed. I graduated high school in '93 and I read all the time in school. I don't ever remember being ridiculed for it. I got a few comments when I was reading The Stand that amounted to things like "Holy crap that is a big book. I could never read something that long." But it was never accompanied with any scorn.

You're certainly not a looser for reading. Pitty those who think otherwise. As for "nerd"? Hell yeah! Where that word as a badge of honor.

You betcha. We might be 'nerds' but we know where to find answers and that's just cool.:flowers:

You are not a loser or a nerd. You will find that your passion for reading will help you in life. Kids of all ages should be encouraged to read by parents teachers and friends. Limit the time in front of the TV and the Xbox pick up a friggin book or magazine hack a comic book is good too. Read away...

Thanks for the responses, i think i put my point accross wrong a bit, im not embaressed in anyway about reading, i play video games, i play drums im in a band etc, but i just get annoyed at people who say things like 'why you reading you looser' or readings for nerds' etc

Also to Chris, i know what you mean my real friends have no problem with me reading, they know its what i enjoy doing and have no problem, also my girlfriend loves reading which is perfect :p

Keep in mind Aaron, when folks pick on others it is usually an issue with themselves...some like the false sense of power and superiority it gives them, this is why they usually do it in front of others...

People will always find something to stereo-type about. In our family one of the most daming things to comment on is that so and so doesn't read. It puzzles us and makes us feel sorry for them and think there is something missing. So yes, I guess we reverse stereotype non-readers.

Lesson, a good stereotyping defense is a better stereotyping offense. "What, you don't read? Aw, that's sad." :D

People will always find something to stereo-type about. In our family one of the most daming things to comment on is that so and so doesn't read. It puzzles us and makes us feel sorry for them and think there is something missing. So yes, I guess we reverse stereotype non-readers.

Lesson, a good stereotyping defense is a better stereotyping offense. "What, you don't read? Aw, that's sad." :D

It is human nature to categorize and catalogue everything, especially people - and I am certainly not immune. It is good that your family holds such importance on reading. I used to be shocked when someone told me they did not read. But this is so common, especially in blue collar working men. I guess it depends on background and education...many factors.

There I go...stereotyping again...! :)

Back