• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: December 2008 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, This is really my first post besides the introduction post i did. I dont know proper procedure for post but from the recommendations so far made by people I like the sounds of My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell from the description and reviews on amazon sounds like a good read. So I dont know how it works but I cast a vote for that ;). I also may have my own recommendation it is sort of a religious book. I myself am not religious but i found this really intresting in its thoerys and writing style. I dont know if this is tabo subject, once I fine the book ill post tittle and author.

Ok, This is really my first post besides the introduction post i did. I dont know proper procedure for post but from the recommendations so far made by people I like the sounds of My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell from the description and reviews on amazon sounds like a good read. So I dont know how it works but I cast a vote for that ;). I also may have my own recommendation it is sort of a religious book. I myself am not religious but i found this really intresting in its thoerys and writing style. I dont know if this is tabo subject, once I fine the book ill post tittle and author.

Welcome, Jordan-org.

As you can see, we're in diiscussion for December and we have agreed to read nonfiction. Feel free to support any suggestions made, and to make a few of your own. At the end of the month, we will pick the suggestions with the most support and eveyone interested will voice their support for the the title(s) they would like to read.

I'm looking at that right now, Libra. We have 17 suggestions so far and the four with the most interest (in no particular order) are Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov, The Book on the Bookshelf by Henry Petroski, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah and My Lady Scandalous by Jo Manning.

Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov,

The Book on the Bookshelf by Henry Petroski,

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

My Lady Scandalous by Jo Manning.

So, should we go from here?:D

It might be a little early to do anything. I was to generate more discussion by posting the numbers.

That sounds like a good thing, Libra. Your TBR pile isn't deep enough.

I went to the book store Sunday, and today I talked myself out of going again. I had a conversation with myself:

"Oh, just pass by, just to browse"

"No, you have enough for now"

It went like this for awhile in my brain.

lol

Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov,

The Book on the Bookshelf by Henry Petroski,

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

My Lady Scandalous by Jo Manning.

Speak, Memory I can recommend (have read it). A Long Way Gone has had good reviews and I'm interested in the situation.

The other two I don't know anything about. Can someone give us a brief statement.

Speak, Memory I can recommend (have read it). A Long Way Gone has had good reviews and I'm interested in the situation.

The other two I don't know anything about. Can someone give us a brief statement.

http://www.alongwaygone.com/

"A gripping story of a child’s journey through hell and back.

There may be as many as 300,000 child soldiers, hopped-up on drugs and wielding AK-47s, in more than fifty conflicts around the world. Ishmael Beah used to be one of them. He is one of the first to tell his story in his own words.

In A LONG WAY GONE, Beah, now twenty-six years old, tells a riveting story. At the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he’d been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts. Eventually released by the army and sent to a UNICEF rehabilitation center, he struggled to regain his humanity and to reenter the world of civilians, who viewed him with fear and suspicion. This is, at last, a story of redemption and hope."

My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliot

Synopsisfrom amazon,
"In the Sin City of London in the late eighteenth century, partying, whoring and gambling were endemic. Money ruled and anything went - for men. Women, in contrast, had everything to lose, starting with their reputations. Even so, not every woman was cowed by convention. Some, like beautiful Grace Dalrymple Elliott, brazenly did whatever they wished with whomever they pleased - and flourished brilliantly as a result. "My Lady Scandalous" recreates the life and fast times of one of the era's most colourful characters, who went from Edinburgh schoolgirl to Europe's most sought-after courtesan. Men competed for her favours even as her society doctor husband pursued a divorce. Grace became mistress to England's notorious Lord Cholmondeley and gave birth to a daughter, Georgiana (who may in fact have been the child of the Prince of Wales). Grace's liaison with France's richest man, Phillippe, Duc d'Orleans, proved perilous as d'Orleans fell to the Revolution's guillotine, just as Grace escaped with her life.
Jo Manning, a gifted writer and connoisseur of the times, enriches the details of Grace's life, from the journal published posthumously, with excerpts from contemporary newspapers, magazines, prints and portraits. "My Lady Scandalous" is a captivating portrait of this darling of kings and princes, an irresistibly unconventional woman whose story cannot fail to fascinate."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back