• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

I started it today and whew boy, that's a big book, but I really like it so far :) .

I read this just under a year ago. I will admit it was a flawed book, but even amongst those, it was still a good read. I think the prose was one of the best parts. As for the story, I think the first quarter of the book was really well done. It was almost as if each chapter was a little story, where most everything presented had a conclusion. As the book went on I got the feeling that it was too long. As someone else said, at first I was getting annoyed at the footnotes, but by the end enjoyed them. Once it got through those middle 300-400 pages, the last 200 pages plus really took off for me.

I found it interesting to see the gambit of thoughts and feelings towards the characters. Like Mr. Norrell. At first I was in awe (as were the other characters) of him. Then I thought he was misunderstood and felt his emotions regarding these feelings. But soon I felt he was a pompous ass and wanted to smack the old man. :D And with Jonathan, too, I went through different phases.

One person earlier in the thread mentioned being able to identify (or not identify ......... sorry, I am too lazy to look back) with Duke/Lord Wellington. It reminded me of how, or who I pictured as Wellington. I couldn't help it but see Stephen Fry from his performance as Wellington on Blackadder.

Well, as I said, I enjoyed it, even through it's flaws.

Almost forgot. One of the first posts, someone said that Gaiman gave it praise so it should be good. I try not to take those things into account. I love Gaiman's work, or what I have read. But I heard him praise Gene Wolfe's "The Wizard Knight" and bought both books based on that and what sounded like an interesting synopsis. I could not finish the first book I disliked it that much.

Sorry that was off topic.

I started reading this (the paperback costs only 990 ISK here!) a couple of days ago and I'm really enjoying myself. I'm not going through it as fast as I would go through some other novels though... I'm taking my time with this one.

lies said:
I'm really enjoying myself. I'm not going through it as fast as I would go through some other novels though... I'm taking my time with this one.
Very good plan! This is definitely a book to read slowly and savor. Very atmospheric descriptions and fascinating characters. Just immerse yourself and enjoy :)

:D I have just bought the Pb today in Tesco for £3.73
After what most of you have said I can't wait to start it :)
Mind you I would have quite liked the awsome looking Hardback, :mad:
But at this price WOW! and as I nearly always cart my books everywhere with me, think it will just about fit into my bag :D
Back when I have read it...erm er maybe awhile... :eek:

I had to cart it about in its own bag. I too bought it in Tescos for £3.73 as the hardback was just too heavy for me to hold.

I love Tescos for books! :)

I finished reading Strange & Norrell yesterday and I must say I enjoyed it very much. The ending was a bit anticlimactic I thought, but it didn't really bother me so much.

From nothing more than seeing the book in the bookstore I assumed it was 10lbs of fluff. Now I'm considering paying more attention.

I returned my Jonathan Strange to the library today after racking up considerable late fees :(. I still hadn't finished it, but my mind just isn't feeling like absorbing that book right now. I really enjoyed it, but need a lot more time to really sit down and appreciate it.

I loved this book. Although yes it is a tad slow at first it does a very good job of bringing to life not only the characters, but more importantly the time/period.

One of the interesting points for me, however, is that although the book does a great job of producing well developed characters, it is the 'magic' itself that is the main character ;I've since re-read it from this perspective and have found that it is the magic itself that drives the book on.

I especially enjoyed how tied in it was with fairy tale /curse culture. This is where the footnotes really become a must. I've read plenty of complaints regarding the number and size of the footnotes, but it is these that allow Clarketo further and expand on the relationship between the real world and that of the magic.

I would have loved to have read this at school (which BTW would have meant the book needed to be published many many years ago!), for the simple reason that there was enough in it for everyone to discuss:
Racism, gender, war, poverty, death, responsibilty, power, politics etc... There was plenty in it.

Clarke has certainly put herself firmly into my list of Authors to follow. I look forward to her next effort with some excitement. Hopefully she will only get better, thus making my signed 1st edition worth quadrillions!:cool:

im reading it now, im about one quarter of the book, liking it a lot, getting a little slow, but still enjoyable

by the way, got a paperback with a pretty good looking cover

One of the top handful of books written in the past couple of years in speculative fiction, make no mistake about it..:D

Back