• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Teachers who inspired your love of reading

SFG75

Recently, one of my boys picked up a book he never read before in our house. Developmentally, it was right at his level, though it had a few advanced words in them. He has a ton of memorized words that he recalled in reading the book. He was also able to sound out difficult words and get them correctly. I was really struck by the moment. While I have spent a ton of time reading to him, some of the most important reading strategies undoubtedly came from his last three teachers. l am very grateful for them and we are planning to have some good christmas supplies delivered to their rooms this holiday season.

So, what teacher inspired your love of reading? Maybe it was a great literature teacher, or a social studies teacher who started your flame for government and all things politics. Perhaps you had trouble reading and had a teacher who taught you how to overcome it. So, who inspired you and how did they do it?

In 4th grade, I remember my home room teacher had a great library of modern fantasy books like "The House With a Clock in its Walls" and "Timoty and Two Witches" and a book about werewolves that gave me nightmares... My science teacher had (big surprise) the first sci-fi books I ever read, including "Have Spacesuit--Will Travel".

I'd also like to thank those teachers who didn't bug me when I finished my assignments early and spent the rest of the class period reading a book.

-David

The teachers does not help us to study the books only but the books must be of our own interest that makes our interest in reading the more & more books.

hosting

Joanne Rose (my 7th grade English teacher:1981) introduced me to Jules Verne; Jules Verne books made me want to write my own stories - zombies stories mostly. I was in 7th grade so I loved zombies and my class mates loved my short stories...spooky.

Thanks Mrs. Rose wherever you are!

__

In 2nd grade my teacher gave me Rudyard Kipling The Jungle Book which is first book I can remember reading. Since then I have read it many times, and perhaps it is reason I spent so much time in jungles.

I can't honestly say that any teacher inspired me with a love of reading.
It happened in my own home when I was perhaps 10 - 12 years old and I took down a novel from my mother's bookshelf and discovered a whole new different wonderful world out there.

I was by nature a bookworm, there really wasn't any one teacher who ispired me to read. It's almost as if it were in my blood. My parents bought me a set of cheap classic novels in paperback and I read most of them fairly quickly. My father bought me a dictionary when I was only six years old because he got tired of me asking him word definitions.

The librarian in my elementary school once refused to allow me to check out Young Fu when I was in the fourth grade. She said that I wouldn't read it. I told her that I indeed ~would~ read it, but she was unmoved. She made me put it back and get something else.

I was obsessed with books from a young age, I was always picking them up and reading them wherever I went, and always bugging my parents to buy them for me until I was able to afford them myself, or for trips to the library to get some more to read. It was my father who most inspired my love for reading from a young age I'd have to say, though I really didn't need too much motivation in that regards.

Teachers featured in the equation in that I related with people who liked to read also, and my favourite teachers from primary through secondary school were those who taught English/English Lit, but I'd say they more allowed me a place in which to co-exist happily.

I can't say that any teacher was particularly inspiring for me in that regard. I must give full credit to my mother, she started me out quite early, reading to me, and encouraging me to read for myself. It's funny, but I really don't remember a time when I didn't read.
She made it easy and fun.

I don't think any teacher did this to me. I think it was my want to be like everyone else so i read Harry Potter like everyone one else was and I just kept reading books.

I loved reading even at a very young age. It wasn't something teachers or anyone else inspired me to do. My English teacher senior year (who knew I liked books) encouraged me to venture outside genre fiction, but that's about it.

None, because I did not like any of their tastes.

I didn't get really addicted to reading until I read The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver.

I remember a Mrs. Wills and Mr. Stegner, who taught elementary school at Kaiserslautern Elementary School in the early 70's (I can't remember the grade. As a military brat I changed schools about every two years. It's hard to keep track.) A Dept. of Defense school in Germany. God bless them, wherever they are.

My mom, who was an English teacher. She always read a lot and would encourage my sister and I to do the same. I guess going up the ladder, my grandfather was a prolific reader. Each week he would go to the library and bring home a half dozen books. I'm not like him, but happy that I have the same enjoyment of learning as he and my mom do.

Probably my 7th grade Language Arts teacher (yes, around here, it's called Language Arts until the 9th grade when it's called English. Same thing, different name.) Every Tuesday and Thursday was reading day where he'd let us just read whatever we wanted for the entire period, but we'd have to do a book report every six weeks. I had read a few books here and there up to that point, but it wasn't until I was in his class that I really looked forward to reading and finishing books.

This may sound real bad, but no teacher really inspired me with reading. All the books I was assigned to read, I detested them. I don't think I finished most of them. I probably skipped many chapters in the middle of those books, and read the endings. I was bad at English.

One book I really liked during my school years was Where the Red Fern Grows and few Shakespeare plays. The plays were short. Wouldn't call them books.

I read mostly sci-fi in HS years, influenced by my best friend at the time, who introduced me to Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.

I would say my 2nd and 8th grade teacher. The 2nd grade teacher really took the time to work with me on reading. My 8th grade teacher really had a love for books and i think that rubbed off on my a little and I was trying to find an escape since there were 2 suicides the years before. She also gave me the school library at the end of year.

Back