• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Bible?

I'm going to stick my neck waaaay out here and guess that RFK isn't suggesting that the universe was created in six days and all that. His mention of 2000 years gives me a clue that he is focussing on the New Testament. Maybe he is saying that the story of Jesus, etc., has never been disproved as historical fact.

This is just a guess, however. Only he can speak for himself.

Kookamoor said:
A friend of mine, who grew up in the christian faith and has extensively studies such matters, tells me that there are many other Books that were written, but not included in what we know as the Bible due to intercedence from the Vatican many moons ago. Does anyone else know of this? If so, please tell me more.

I'm a Catholic and my sister studied Theology. Yes, there were books that weren't included long long time ago (even before Vatican) because they weren't considered sacred scriptures. I hope that answers your question.

Mari said:
I'm going to stick my neck waaaay out here and guess that RFK isn't suggesting that the universe was created in six days and all that. His mention of 2000 years gives me a clue that he is focussing on the New Testament. Maybe he is saying that the story of Jesus, etc., has never been disproved as historical fact.

This is just a guess, however. Only he can speak for himself.

I'm not suggesting anything other than that 2000 years on, not one word of the bible has ever been disproved.

sometimes little problems can still be big deals. my friend's little brother hit my mom's car with a bike and caused a minor dent, which needed a minor repair. when all was said and done my mom had to pay hundreds of dollars to fix it.
Robert said:
No big problems there, Bobby, you'll have to do better then that.

Wabbit said:
Religion is very dear and important in the hearts of many. Be they atheist or believer they hold very strong views and people get very offended very quickly.

Just a reminder: Let's keep it polite and civil. I would hate to have to shut this thread down.

Yay for preemptive modding that is really very degrading in this instance. Can I have some milk please, momma?

What I would like to know is how did Jesus write the bible if pencils weren't even invented in 2001BC? I can't imagine he chalked it all up on a bunch of rocks, because what would happen to his scribbles when it rained?

bobbyburns said:
sometimes little problems can still be big deals. my friend's little brother hit my mom's car with a bike and caused a minor dent, which needed a minor repair. when all was said and done my mom had to pay hundreds of dollars to fix it.

Bobby, you're talking about many books written by many authors over many many years. Books translated by (well meaning) men. The difference between scarlet and purple is hardly a big deal.

do you believe in good and evil?
Robert said:
Bobby, you're talking about many books written by many authors over many many years. Books translated by (well meaning) men. The difference between scarlet and purple is hardly a big deal.

I talked about this with a christian before. the belief in good and evil is discussed in the bible as being the belief in "two powers", which is an illusion. so how do I know that good and evil exist?

Robert said:
I love reading the Bible. I can't say that I've read all of it because I never kept track of what I read.

There are no better rules for living then are found in Proverbs and no lovelier verse then those found in Psalms.

Yeah, Proverbs is pretty good, reminds me a lot of Twain for some odd reason. The Psalms are also excellent-perhaps the best religious poetry that you can find out there IMHO. Definitely skillfully written.

clueless said:
What I would like to know is who told you that Jesus wrote the Bible. Nobody says that.

So, if Jesus didn't write the bible, who wrote it? Mary? Don't think so...Women couldn't write in those days and it couldn't have been Joseph because his hands were blistered from twisting wooden baskets all day. So who wrote it?

bobbyb, I appreciate that you have the good nature to 'talk' with a christian, but I wouldn't recommend that you do it very often.

bobbyburns said:
I talked about this with a christian before. the belief in good and evil is discussed in the bible as being the belief in "two powers", which is an illusion. so how I know that good and evil exists?

It's not an illusion, bobby. It's like gravity, it just exists. Need an example? How about Charles Mansion? Hitler? Stalin? How about people that gun down innocent women and children in cold blood?

So you don't believe in evil, then you can't believe in good, since you can't have one without the other.

aube said:
I'm a Catholic and my sister studied Theology. Yes, there were books that weren't included long long time ago (even before Vatican) because they weren't considered sacred scriptures. I hope that answers your question.

Besides the book listed in my profile, I'm also reading Elaine Pagel's Beyond Belief: The Secret gospel of Thomas. This is a great book for anyone who is interested in learning about other christian sects that were shut out from the mainstream of christianity which prospered until the reign of Constantine and the creation of the Nicene Creed.

bobbyburns said:
I'm just trying to be a nice guy, Ya Krunk'd Floo.

Oh, that's nice, bobby. I was just worried that the christian person might try to cut your hands off, if you tried to borrow the keys to his SUV.

Robert said:
How about Charles Mansion? Hitler? Stalin? How about people that gun down innocent women and children in cold blood?

So, when Hitler was lying in bed at night all snuggled up to his lady he was evil? There's no pigeonholing here; he wasn't evil - there were facets of him that were evil. You can't be evil all the time. Similarly, you can't be good all the time. Everything is a middleground.

Back