• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Da Vinci Code

Dannbo

Rumor has it that Ron Howard may have purchased the rights for the Da Vinci Code.

A few questions: How much of the 'contraversial' plot will be told in the film....are we looking at another Last Temptation of Christ"

Also, casting? who would be best for such a film?

Im guessing Robert Langdon would be Val kilmer, and sophie would be Charlize theron

Not much clue for the rest.....any ideas???

I would love to see this in film and I agree with your possible casting. I never got a chance to finish reading the book but I saw the documentary about it a few months ago. I don't think there would be much of a controversy over the subject, no more than what Mel Gibson is getting for his "Passion."

I wonder who they would bet to play Silas and how they would go about incorporating art into the movie.

They're going to have to get the rights to the paintings as well as the books, and I'm not sure how the copyrights work for that but I'm pretty sure the owner of the painting has some control over the image? Much extra $$ if so.

Not sure they have to pay anything for those paintings. I think the works of art are in the public domain due to their age. I think anybody can paint a copy of a Da Vinci or anything else of that age as long as they are not trying to pass it off as the real thing. They will just use a copy of whatever painting the movie calls for. Of coarse, I could be damn wrong on this... it wouldn't be the first time lol :)

Val kilmer???? Can we get somebody that can actually act their way out of soggy paper bag? lol Can you tell I don't like him???? What about Harrison Ford? He has the age and he has played the academic part before :) As for Sophie, I have no idea but I hope they actually get a French actress to play the part.

I'd love to see this as a film.

Controversy? Absolutely, and I think Mel Gibson is getting hammered for making Passion of Christ. But, The Da Vinci Code shouldn't pull the same heat.

My impression on Robert Langdon was a lttle older than Val Kilmer, but I'd take it, and Charlize Theron is a fave.

I've got to agree with Wabbit, Kilmer just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather see someone like Kevin Spacey or maybe even Tom Hanks. Though I doubt either of them would do any sequels and I think over time you'll see a few.

Bill

Re: Da Vinci Code film-a few items to DSCUSS

Originally posted by Dannbo
Also, casting? who would be best for such a film?

Im guessing Robert Langdon would be...any ideas?

Maybe the guy below could play Langdon. :D

Large%20Cardboard%20Box.gif

Obviously Stewie's disturbed because we didn't mention him for the part. All that's in the box is an Eco, an Eco, an Eco...........

Bill

Not at all. I just didn't like the book. The part at the start where it states that all descriptions of art, architecture, documents, and rituals are accurate annoyed me because the descriptions may have been but he tried to pass off blatant falsehoods as history and truth.

I had no idea it was about the Holy Grail when I bought it but I had guessed it was by the fourth word of the opening senence: Sauniere. I'm surprised I just didn't pack up my bag and head to wards Rosslyn Chapel via Rennes-le-Chateau instead.

The characters are awful and don't do anything. Langdon's lectures and knowledge are more of a deus ex machina than a wonder. The descriptions are dull as they evoke no emotion but just recite hastily researched facts which are, for the most, irrelevant. And the book is so cliche ridden and repetitive. Dan Brown is not the intellect he wishes he were: he's a Diabolical.

Edit: Spelling Mistake

You must have been a little flustered when you wrote that Stewie. (...."pack up my backs"....)
Your imagination is clearly your best weapon but I think you should take time to reload every once in awhile.

Bill

Originally posted by RaVeN
You must have been a little flustered when you wrote that

Was heading out the door at work (no literally, though, as I still had to Shutdown :p )

I don't see what's wrong with my comments. Discussion should always be encouraged.

You're right Mile-O. Every demonstrative remark you make leads to someone going out and buying the book to see what the hubbub's all about. So please keep it up.

(Is that how it's done Martin?)

Bill

No they couldn't use Sandra Bullock, she doesn't seem like the type of actress to be Sophie. I agree with SillyWabbit, they need to get a real French actress for Sophie. But she would make it interesting... As a Johnny Depp fan, I'd like him to be the French Chief of Police.

Since reading the book I have always thought Elizabeth Perkins would be perfect as Sophie, Rip Torn as Bezu Fache, John Lithgow as Silas, Johnny Depp as Robert Langdon, and I'd have to think about the rest.

i liked The Da Vinci code, but one thing i didn't like was that there were almost too many plot twists. after a while it seemed like every ten pages some great discovery is made, followed by a detailed explanation. if a movie follows this pattern i think it would be a total flop. hopefully it would be a bit more store driven, and a little less jack-in-the-box.

Rumours

Ron Howard is rumoured to have been talking to Russel Crowe and Kate Beckingsale about the lead parts. I think that it's a great idea for it to be made into a film, it's written in a perfect way for it to be transferred into a movie. I think that they will have to make Angels and Demons first as it does come before The Da Vinci Code. Also as someone said earlier there will be a series of them as Dan Brown is currently writing the next Robert Langdon Story, on the subject of the Masons.

Marc

Back