• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Da Vinci Code

So. I finally watched this trailer. I kept meaning to do so, but I'm usually here from work (no sound on the computers, causes problems with the radios and all).

I can see why you liked it Martin. It is attention grasping. It doesn't really say much about the book or the movie, but it does make it look all good and whatnot.

I think you will find the book disapointing. Especially if you pick it up right after Snowcrash.

I don't see the point in releasing the trailer a year early unless they are planning on releasing the book on paperback in America and need a few more sales.

I'm fairly certain that is the reason. It always seems like they do that when there are books or other assorted merchandise to be peddled.

Da Vinci Code Movie News

Hi,

I run the books section for the 'thisis' network in the UK. Just to let you know that all up-to-date Da Vinci Code movie news is available on the sites in the news & events page of our books section.

Cheers

:)

I can't believe it's got Tom Hanks in the lead role - what more of a reason do you need not to watch it?

Wabbit said:
There's just no telling! Can you believe that some people even like Miss Congeniality? :eek:
Hey, you there! Are you dissin' me??? *I* happen to like Miss Congeniality. I think it's one of Sandry Bullock's better films, and it's funny in places too.

Looks like the lightsaber duel has to happen, Darth Wabbit! And once I have minced bunny meat I'll come down to Holland for you, Martin [evil laugh].

I actually thought The Da Vinci Code was very enjoyable, even though I've enjoyed Snow Crash too. I'm looking forward for the movie, though I don't really like Hanks.

ds

TBF is the only place I've heard/read negative comments about The Di Vinci Code. I'm yet to read it, but is the next book I will be reading. Why do folk not like it? And why do some think that they will enjoy the film more?

1. People that read a lot, wonder why other people don’t read very much.
2. A book comes along once every few years that gets millions of people reading that otherwise might never pick up a book.
3. Those that read a lot, then proceed to trash the shit out of said book.
4. The only real problem with The Da Vinci Code is the heightened expectation that world-wide popularity brings with it.

It is fiction. Read it as such, and don’t expect the world to stand still as you read it. It’s an enjoyable, easy read. If you expect too much you’ll be disappointed. Otherwise, forget the hype.

I don’t think it’s possible for any writer, anywhere, to write a book that could become this popular, and not piss off the truly refined, hardcore reader.

kirsty said:
TBF is the only place I've heard/read negative comments about The Di Vinci Code. I'm yet to read it, but is the next book I will be reading. Why do folk not like it? And why do some think that they will enjoy the film more?

The Di Vinci Code was the first Dan Brown book I ever read, and I liked it so much I read the rest of his books as fast as I could get my hand on 'em. I really don't expect to enjoy the movie because movies are usually a let down after reading the book, but I'll go in with an open mind and hope for the best.

direstraits said:
Hey, you there! Are you dissin' me??? *I* happen to like Miss Congeniality. I think it's one of Sandry Bullock's better films, and it's funny in places too.

Looks like the lightsaber duel has to happen, Darth Wabbit! And once I have minced bunny meat I'll come down to Holland for you, Martin [evil laugh].

I actually thought The Da Vinci Code was very enjoyable, even though I've enjoyed Snow Crash too. I'm looking forward for the movie, though I don't really like Hanks.

ds

No need to battle young one! I went to see Miss congeniality 2 and loved it :D

You have to admit, the website for the film rocks. I'm getting some good laughs also reading the anti-DaVinci Code pages that people put up.:rolleyes:

Just because a book is popular doesn't mean hardcore readers are going to trash it. Harry Potter is loved by all, and much more popular than the Da Vinci Code. The reason why people bash it is because it's not a bestseller due to amazing literary genius, it's because of controversy. I read it and enjoyed it, but it is pathetic that it's still selling so well.

Sar said:
I can't believe it's got Tom Hanks in the lead role - what more of a reason do you need not to watch it?
Plenty actually althoguh I don't mind Tom Hanks, he's quite a good actor I think.

Sadly the Davinici Code by Dan Brown is based on a series of alledgedly unfounded assertions which have been exposed by various programs too numerous to list here. The book itself is also a pretty average read, a classic example of Hype over Substance...:(

As to the comments here about enjoying the book for what it is I can't really agree when I know it's based on several very shaky assertions and at the same time takes itself seriously or at least the author appears to believe in what he's saying from the interviews I've seen. Surely we can ask for solid research to be done on any book that is "supposedly" based on real events and whose author attests to as much.

Still the movie might turn out to be OK, as long an no-one actually believes in what it purports...

DiscoDan said:
Just because a book is popular doesn't mean hardcore readers are going to trash it.

Good to have you here DiscoDan.:) Comments regarding the book getting thrashed here are due to more than one thread(and subsequent disagreement) about the value of it. Just click "search" and type in *Dan Brown* or *DaVinci Code* Then, grab a good drink, and watch the fireworks.:D You won't find the same kind of reaction these days as a few members have been tossed overboard for......not being able to remain within the lines of a book forum.:rolleyes: Yes, it's horribly difficult.

I read it and enjoyed it, but it is pathetic that it's still selling so well.

*Looks to see if the coast is clear* Yes, I enjoyed it as well. It is amazing-if you check out Amazon.com, it's #4. Ravelstein by Saul Bellow comes in at a ringing 185,806th place.:D

The movie will probably be a big hit. Almost everything that Tom Hanks does is successful. No actor is liked by everyone and Hanks is no exception. The point is though that he is liked by most. Da Vinci will make for a good story in the movies and they should be able to make it likeable to many people.

muggle said:
The movie will probably be a big hit. Almost everything that Tom Hanks does is successful. No actor is liked by everyone and Hanks is no exception. The point is though that he is liked by most. Da Vinci will make for a good story in the movies and they should be able to make it likeable to many people.

This film has every ingredient for success. The director is Ron Howard, who doesn't churn out flops. You have Tom Hanks as the lead male role, I mean-what more could you need? Not only that, but it's based on a hit book and you know that on opening day, this one is going to crush records. The estimated price to make is $125 million, and you even have the French prime minister offering to guarantee a smooth sailing in filming in France if certain favors are granted.:eek:

SFG75 said:
This film has every ingredient for success. The director is Ron Howard, who doesn't churn out flops. You have Tom Hanks as the lead male role, I mean-what more could you need? Not only that, but it's based on a hit book and you know that on opening day, this one is going to crush records. The estimated price to make is $125 million, and you even have the French prime minister offering to guarantee a smooth sailing in filming in France if certain favors are granted.:eek:

As much as I like Tom Hanks and Ron Howard, I doubt I'll pay to go watch this movie. Too many historical lies for me to stomach. It might even be a good film; if it isn't it won't be because the director and lead actor are idiots.

Back