• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Da Vinci Code

http://www.ridiculopathy.com/news_detail.php?id=1578

fans wait in breathless anticipation for the answer to the most vexing riddle of the book: will the movie live up to their expectations. The short answer, according to those lucky enough to catch one of the recent test screenings, is no. Unlike the tome of the same name, the big screen version of The DaVinci Code is somewhat coherent and preserves only a smattering of the moronic expository dialogue that made the original so special.

Tomorrow, for our mams birthday we're taking her to see it, as she's been yapping on about it for ages now. Im glad i've read the book before watching it.

I've decided to not read any reviews (except the one i glanced scrolling down to reply) just incase they're negative and spoil my excitement (already that one review has a little!).

No popcorn Peder? How about Junior Mints then? They're chocolate, there minty, they're very refreshing, and they don't crunch.:D

Peder said:
Beer good,
I'm countin' on your post, I'm countin' on it! :D
Peder
:D Sorry to disappoint, but I'm about as likely to watch this movie as Dan Brown is to write a good novel someday.

beer good said:
:D Sorry to disappoint, but I'm about as likely to watch this movie as Dan Brown is to write a good novel someday.
I don't think I'll be disappointed, either way. After all I do have to see it if I am going to talk about it, don't I? Or do I? :rolleyes:

Peder said:
I don't think I'll be disappointed, either way. After all I do have to see it if I am going to talk about it, don't I? Or do I? :rolleyes:
LOL I just watched the advert that the NYT shows with A.O.Scott's review. Ouch!

I don't get out to films any more, but eventually catch them on DVD if I am interested. But I have to say, I doubt I will see this one. And yes, I did read the book (curses!).
I have to say the "Dan Brown/Ron Howard Advertising Machine" does an excellent job though. :rolleyes:

Well, today's opening day. One city had citizens petitioning a movie owner to refuse to show the movie. Columbus Telegram w/posted comments

I might go see it tonight as we will be visiting relatives in Kansas again, now just a matter of finding a theater in NW kansas that is showing it.:rolleyes:

Anyone watch Have I got News for You?

They were talking about the Da Vinci Code. Over million people have read it.
Apparently some without even moving their lips.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I saw that programme - that comment made me smile.

As someone who lives quite close to Roslyn Chapel in Roslin.... all I can say is that the sheer volume of eejits turning up BELIEVING the book and demanding that the chapel allow them to prise up flagstones or make holes in the walls are causing real problems.... And the huge volume of coaches, cars etc of the tourists is seriously irritating the people of Roslin... Still, it'll make LOADSA money for the charitable trust that runs the Chapel - maybe they'll be able to take that ugly false roof they have had in place for AGES..:D

I think the book was a badly written loada tripe. I suspect the film will be no better, if not worse. The reviews I've read have said that the critics laughed out loud in places - and that the film was crap until the appearance of Ian McKellan. Also that the disparity in height between Hanks and Tatou might be an explanation of their lack of rapport.

As you may guess, I won't be going to see the film. ;)

I've seen the film and lived to tell! Please know that I went to the theatre with an open mind and left mentally unstimulated. In my honest opion the movie stunk, stank and stinks. The best parts of the film are the scenes of the Louvre, the city of Paris, Jean Reno, and Sir Ian Mckellen.

The Davinci Code have been a great book and film. I think that the premise was a good, but was executed in a bad way by a horrible writer and then turned into a very bad film.

And with that, I take my leave, but before I do I'm giving The Davinci Code a :p rating.

DVC the movie - no spoilers

I just got back home from seeing the movie about three hours ago, minus any benefit of ads or reviews. So here goes. /Takes deep breath/. I think the very first thing one has to say is that the movie follows the book quite closely, and I mean very quite closely from what I remember of the book. That being the case, it probably has the same flaws and virtues, so I think people who enjoyed the book will probably enjoy the movie. My own opinion, somewhat to my own surprise, is that it is a movie worth seeing. I found it to be generally more enjoyable than the book because, for example, seeing illustrated many of those long-winded expository descriptions and historical explanations makes them much easier to take. Pictures are worth a thousand words, even if the words are being recited at the same time. On the other hand there are some long mouthfulls of words, courtesy of Dan Brown, that not even Tom Hanks can make sound natural.
I had read the first half of the book, and eventually found it boring. The movie tended in that same direction to that point. I skimmed the second half of the book and found it confusing, and didn't come close to understanding the ending. That is where the movie helped clear up things for me and made me very glad I had seen it. However, the plot is so complicated that I'm not sure I would have been able to follow the movie without first having read the book. Who knows, I may even go back and reread at least the second half of the book, now that I have some idea of what is going on. Once the cast of characters begins to thin out, and gets down to principals only, then the movie goes along much better and has some nice moments, including satisfying endings to the major story arcs.
I always enjoy Tom Hanks and I think he did a very nice job as an academic professor who gets drawn into something he is skeptical about and who doesn't really understand what is going on until quite late. Audrey (?) Tautou OTOH could have been left out of the movie as far as I was concerned. Much too loud and confident in the circumstances, with a horrible accent to boot. And there was some nice background scenery, which I always enjoy seeing, the Louvre and its new entrance, an aerial view of London and, especially, the very ornate tomb of Sir Isaac Newton. That's not something I see every day, or have ever seen before.
If, on the other hand, one didn't like the story that the book told, then one probably wouldn't like the movie any better.
I would call it B++, not quite a full A-
Peder

Back