• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Da Vinci Code

abecedarian said:
As much as I like Tom Hanks and Ron Howard, I doubt I'll pay to go watch this movie. Too many historical lies for me to stomach. It might even be a good film; if it isn't it won't be because the director and lead actor are idiots.
ABC, how many movies on the old "West" that involve the American Indian have you gone to see. :) :p ;) :D

muggle said:
ABC, how many movies on the old "West" that involve the American Indian have you gone to see. :) :p ;) :D

I'll have you know that Sly Stallone won the Vietnam war for us single-handedly and that it was Americans....and not you Brits...that captured the secret code-typing machine from the U-597.;)

muggle said:

LOL I'll have you know I watched most of my westerns the American way..free on TV!

I understand abec's reasons for not seeing the film. I think the irritating thing is knowing that although it's a work of fiction, it has planted a seed of doubt, or an idea that no matter how *conspiratorial,* will work to be to the detriment of facts. The film and Brown's defense of the book is similar to the defense attorney who knowingly says something inflammatory to the jury to prejudice them, and then upon being called out on it by the judge, withdraws the statement.;) In regards to the script and keeping it faithful to what is in the book, Hanks and Howard vow to not cut any corners or to change the story in any way due to the controversy of the book and it's subject matter.

I will see the film, I think.

I'm struggling to understand why people seem so upset about the Da Vinci Code not being factually incorrect, as it is a fictional book, so fiction is expected. It would be different, obviously, if it stated at the end "Based on a true story" or something...

But I can only liken it to Stigmata (the film with Patricia Arquette), which I do take to be factual (well obviously not an exact account), but the facts, such as the Aramaic language, and the statue that cries bloody tears, and what stigmata actually is... it is, I did some research...

So, anyway, I thought the storytelling was good (back to the book now), I am a little surprised why it's become such a popular, widely sold book but I won't be surprised if/when, the film becomes a big hit.

steffee said:
I'm struggling to understand why people seem so upset about the Da Vinci Code not being factually incorrect, as it is a fictional book, so fiction is expected. It would be different, obviously, if it stated at the end "Based on a true story" or something...

It's because Dan Brown claims that his books are highly researched and factual, and at the start he makes a list of all the things which are fact, most of which are falsely presented in the book. I think, anyways - I don't really care if it's fact or not as I don't take any of it seriously.

MonkeyCatcher said:
It's because Dan Brown claims that his books are highly researched and factual, and at the start he makes a list of all the things which are fact, most of which are falsely presented in the book. I think, anyways - I don't really care if it's fact or not as I don't take any of it seriously.

A very well-written post, excellent job MonkeyCatcher.

I will go out on a limb and say that I enjoyed the book. It was an interesting story and held my interest for a good portion of the time.

I watched "A Tribute To Ron Howard" on TV last night and part of the tribute had clips from the movie The Da Vinci Code. The clips looked good and I believe the movie will be a big hit. Of course, clips always look good. :)

Hmmmm, looks like an interesting court fight might delay the movie.:eek: Interesting article about developnments on your side of the Atlantic pond.

Miss Shelf said:
And I should care, why? :D

Because you are a huge Dan Brown fan who has posted TWICE in a Dan Brown thread today.:eek: :eek: Coincidence?.....I think not!!.;)

P.S.-Please quit PM'ing me about how accurate his works really are.:rolleyes: I already know that they are meticulously researched and that critics need to realize that his works are only books, nothing more.:p

Are you trying to destroy my credibility on this forum?? Why, SFG, I'm shocked, truly shocked! I'm forced to tell the world you've confessed to a secret fondness for the works of Barbara Cartland in our many imaginary PM's. :rolleyes:

You too?? what is this, "Pick on Miss Shelf Day" or something? God, I hate Mondays. FYI, the last full moon was on the 14th, so isn't this harassment a bit late? :rolleyes:

Well, looks as if the Vatican is getting the movie some press. They are slamming it and encouraging a boycott by all catholics of the film.

A Vatican official reportedly called for a boycott of the upcoming "The Da Vinci Code" film Friday, saying it contained "slanderous" offenses against Christianity that would have provoked a worldwide revolt had they been directed against Islam or the Holocaust.

Monsignor Angelo Amato — Pope Benedict XVI's former No. 2 when Benedict was head of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith — made the comments in a speech at the Pontifical Holy Cross University, which is run by the conservative Catholic movement Opus Dei, the ANSA news agency reported

Back