• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

I told you last night that I might be gone sometime, and you said, Where, and I said, To be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

"The dead cop came drifting in towards the Birmingham control zone at a height of some three thousand metres."

- Bob Shaw, Terminal Velocity

Someone must have traduced Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Amory Blaine inherited from his mother every trait, except the stray inexpressible few, that made him worthwhile.

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Vine a Comala porque me dijeron que acá vivía mi padre, un tal Pedro Páramo.

Or, in English:

I came to Comala because I had been told that my father, a man named Pedro Páramo, lived there.

Pedro Páramo, Juan Rulfo.

Barry Laverty—Doctor Barry Laverty—heard the clattering of a frying pan on a stove and smelled bacon frying.
An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor

It's a curious thing: whenever apes are portrayed as talkative in the movies, their main topic of conversation is vengeance against humanity.

---Monkey See, by Walt Maguire

She stands up in the garden where she has been working and looks into the distance.

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

The early November street was dark though night had ended, but the wind, to the grocer's surprise, already clawed.

The Assistant by Bernard Malamud

"There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Iluvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made."

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

'You are happy, aren't you, Martin?' said Elizabeth.
'Wonderfully happy,' said Reggie.

The Return of Reginald Perrin by David Nobbs :)

My name is Lisa.
Exit to Eden by Anne Rice/Rampling

A few more sentences:
I'm five foot nine. My hair is long and it's dark brown. I wear leather a great deal, high boots always, and sometimes glove-soft vests and even leather skirts now and then, and I wear lace, especially when I can find the kind I like: intricate, very old-fashioned lace, snow white.

"LENNY is sitting on the sofa with a newspaper, a pencil in his hand."

The Homecoming - Harold Pinter

"For many days I've hidden in the bush by the town, coming out when I hear the call, watching carefully for him."

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden

Back