• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

The first time we were in bed together he held my hands pinned down above my head.
Nine & a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill

"I am making this statement as an act of wilful defiance of military authority,because I believe the war is being diliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it."

Pat Barker-Regeneration

At five in the morning someone banging on the door and shouting, her husband, John, leaping out of bed, grabbing his rifle, and Roscoe at the same time roused from the backhouse, his bare feet pounding: Mattie hurriedly pulled on her robe, her mind prepared for the alarm of war, but the heart stricken that it would finally have come, and down the stairs she flew to see through the open door in the lamplight, at the steps of the portico, the two horses, steam rising from their flanks, their heads lifting, their eyes wild, the driver a young darkie with rounded shoulders, showing stolid patience even in this, and the woman stnding in her carriage no one but her aunt Letitia Pettibone of McDonough, her elderly face drawn in anguish, her hair a straggled mess, this woman of such fine gromming, this dowager who practically ruled the season in Atlanta standing up in the equipage like some hag of doom, which indeed she would prove to be.

The March by E.L. Doctorow

Crrrrrrrrrrrr.
"Marambio to McMurdo." Crrrrrrrrrrr. "Marambio to McMurdo."

O Sétimo Selo (The Seventh Seal), by José Rodrigues dos Santos

They relate how Dom Manuel that was the high Count of Poictesme, and was everywhere esteemed the most lucky and the least scrupulous rogue of his times, had disappeared out of his castle at Storisende, without any reason or forewarning, upon the feast day of St. Michael and All the Angels.

The Silver Stallion - James Branch Cabell

Trondheim, Norwegian coast

On the face of it, the city was too cosy for a university or a research institute.

The Swarm by Frank Schätzing

The frigate Harvester, nine days outward bound from Spithead, turned easily into the gentle offshore breeze and dropped anchor, the echoes of her gun salute reverberating and grumbline around the towering wall of Gibraltar's unchanging Rock.

Form Line of Battle! by Alexander Kent

"The Salinas Valley is in Northern California."
-East of Eden, by John Steinbeck

The very simple opening line to an amazing book.

We were studying when the headmaster came in, followed by a new boy, not yet wearing a school uniforum, and a monitor carryinga large desk.
Gustave Flaubert; Madame Bovary

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.

~ Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Seth Grahame-Smith

Back