• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"There were angels in the glass, two four six many of them, each one shuffling into his place in line like an alderman at the Lord Mayor's show."

- The Solitudes , John Crowley

Harry was in his little house on the edge of Back Bay when at half past twelve her voice came over the radio for the first time.

- Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay

The great fish moved silently through the night water, propelled by short sweeps of its crescent tail.

Jaws // Peter Benchley

It was Friday the thirteenth and yesterday's snowstorm lingered in the streets like a leftover curse.
Falling Angel, William Hjortsberg

"I am making this statement as an act of wilful defiance of military authority, because I believe the war is being deliberately prolonged by those who have the power to end it." Regeneration by Pat Barker

Just as Theodore had thought, something was going on at the Hidalgos'.

Patricia Highsmith: A Game for the Living

We had a thread like this awhile back, just thought a new one would be interesting to have around again to see what folks are reading and to chit-chat.

-Stephen King, Cell

what's the first sentence in your book?:)

A gray man came to Key West and stood out in a world of color.
MOON & MULDOON
J. D. Buchanan
Five Star

"In deck-chairs all along the front the bald pink knees of Bradford businessmen nuzzled the son." The Ghost Road by Pat Barker

"Her husband, she answered, was a writer, too -- at least, after a fashion."

The Original of Laura - Vladimir Nabokov

Sean, here.
First sentence from Cormac McCarthy's very dark OUTER DARK.

They crested out on the bluff in the late afternoon sun with their shadeows long on the sawgrass and burnt sedge, moving single file and slowly high above the river and with something of its own implacability, pausing and grouping and goiing on again strung out in silhouette against the sun and then dropping under the crest of the hill into a fold of blue shadow witrh light touching them about the head in spurious sanctity until they had gone on untill such a time as saw the sun down altogether and they moved in shadow altogether which suited them very well.

Dear God, please grant me the talent to write one sentence like that and I will be ready to go.

"It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills."

The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler

;)

"The bus driver was whistling, perhaps in anticipation of his wife, who would be a woman with ample breasts, those of a realized maturity."

Miss Macintosh, My Darling - Marguerite Young

Back