• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

On the morning of January 6, two hours before dawn, a man named Robert Clinch rolled out of bed and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

Double Whammy by Carl Hiassen

"We know about our wish to go on being, we human beings, our wish not to die." -- Beckett's Dying Words - Christopher Ricks

Septimus Heap tipped six spiders into a jar, screwed the lid down tight and put them outside the door.
"Flyte" by Angie Sage

Dewayne Michaels sat in the second row of the lecture hall, staring at the professor with what he hoped passed for interest.

Dance of Death by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

From the time of my first memories, my dreams were filled with lions--fierce, impossibly huge monsters with fiery manes and eyes black and cold as a starless night.
~ Sphinx's Princess, by Esther Friesner

There was a small turnout, about fifty people, to watch the time capsule being buried next to the flagpole in front of the county courthouse. Killing Time by Linda Howard

Embraced by stone, stepped in silence, I sat at the high window as the third day of the week surrendered to the fourth.

The first sentence, in view of recent discussion:
"and it's a story that might bore you but you don't have to listen, she told me, because she always knew it was going to be like that, and it was, she thinks, her first year, or, actually weekend, really a Friday, in September, at Camden, and this was three or four years ago, and she got so drunk that she ended up in bed, lost her virginity (late, she was eighteen) in Lorna Slavin's room, because she was a freshman and Lorna was, she remembers, a Senior or a Junior and usually at her boyfriend's place off-campus, to who she thought was a sophomore Ceramics major but who was actually either some guy from N.Y.U., a film student just for The Get Dressed to Get Screwed party, or a townie."
The Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis​

Back