• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve."

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

From the story "Serpent's Rock" by Laura Anne Gilman in the anthology Young Warriors (Not the first story in the book, but the only one I have yet to read):

Gulpilil stood in the middle of the red-rock canyon and wondered how long it would take him to die.

It was November in the Ton to Basin. From Mescal Ridge the jagged white teeth of the ranges pierced the blue sky on three horizons-to the west the wild ragged Mazatzals; to the south the lofty symmetrical Four Peaks; and far away to the east the dim blue-white Sierra Ancas.

Arizona Ames by Zane Grey

It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.

- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I purposely omit, there lived not long ago, one of those gentlemen, who usually keep a lance upon a rack, an old target, a lean horse, and a greyhound for coursing.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it "the Riddle House," even thugh it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.

I'm running to catch up to Harry!

'You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter"

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

I'm reading "The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America" by Bill Bryson:

I come from Des Moines.

I'm on chapter 9, so far it's great Bryson goodness.

The next line is "Somebody had to." GREAT!

Michael Havel pulled his battered four-by-four into the employees' parking lot, locked up and swung his just-in-case gear out of the back, the strap of the pack over one should and the gun case on the other.

Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide.

"The girl, giggling and overexcited, was running in the sunlit garden, running away from her stepfather, but not so fast that he could not catch her."

-Phillipa Gregory, The Queen's Fool

first liner

on those cloudy days Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, sometimes they were in the steets before he could get back.

I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

I'm reading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn and here is the first line of the book:

When your moma was the geek, my dreamlets," Papa would say, "she made the nipping off of noggins such a crystle mystery that the hens themselves yearned toward her, waltzing around her, hypnotized with longing.

"The expression "Breakfast of Champions" is a registred trademark of General Mills, Inc., for use on a breakfast cereal product"

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

Back