• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

A thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Mariam was five years old the first time she heard the word harami.

On July8th 1992, a small girl woke up in her bed in her family house in the Australian state of Victoria and knew exactly who she was.

Anyone want to guess the book?

By Octover 2, 1985, the morning Rock Hudson died, the word was familar to almost every household in the Western world.

- And The Band Played On by Randy Shilts

The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square house of Privet Drive.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow moonlit lane. - HP & the Deathly Hallows (yes, I'm re-reading it.)

It may happen in the next hundred years that the English novelists of the present day will come to be valued as we now value the artists and craftsmen of the late eighteenth century.

Evelyn Waugh, The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold

What's better is the opening sentence of the Note which precedes chapter 1:
Three years ago Mr. Waugh suffered a brief bout of hallucination clsoely resembling what is here described.

The note makes me want to read the book.

"I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin."

A million little pieces by James Frey

This book is VERY overrated.

Imagine a young man on his way to a less-than-thirty-second event - the loss of his left hand, long before he reached middle age.

The Fourth Hand - John Irving

Anger be now your song, immortal one,
Akhilleus' anger, doomed and ruinous,
That cause the Akhaians loss on bitter loss
And crowded brave souls into the undergloom,
Leaving so many dead men-carrion
For dogs and birds; and the will of Zeus was done.

The Iliad -Homer

Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.

-Charles Dickens - David Copperfield.

Back