• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

At three-thirty A.M. on the night of June 5, 1992, the top telepath in the Sol System fell off the map in the offices of Runciter Associates in New York City.

Ubik - philip k dick

The first thing Joe did when he caught sight of those colored soldiers wearing blue Yankee uniforms was to stand staring at them with his mouth wide open till the captain rode up behind him and whacked him across the shoulder with his riding crop.

Where I'm Bound by Allen B Ballard

For a man of his age, fifty-two, divorced, he has, to his mind, solved the problem of sex rather well.

disgrace by J.M. Coetzee

At a flag stop in Louisiana,a big,yellow-haired man named Jules stepped off a day coach at a settlement of twelve houses and a shoebox station.

The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux

"Paris simmered from the heat of political events in July, 1789, as its people prepared to tear down a monarchy that had lasted over a thousand years and replace it with the revolutionary idea of a republic."

A Passion For Glory - Theresa Conway

Roy Hobbs pawed at the glass before thinking to prick a match with his thumbnail and hold the spurting flame in his cupped palm close to the lower berth window, but by then he had figured it was a tunnel they were passing through and was no longer surprised at the bright sight of himself holding a yellow light over his head, peering back in.

The Natural by Bernard Malamud

"Lest details be mistaken for clues, note that Mr. Charles Unwin, lifetime resident of this city, rode his bicycle to work every day, even when it was raining." From The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry

"I decided to go on the stage in 1921. But I did not begin to be an actor until 1923."

Stage Directions by Sir John Gielgud (1963)

"In formal beds,beside the Serpentine,early tulips stood in tight-lipped rows"

The Eye in the Door-Pat Barker

Everything will be different now, Dave announced as the removal van rumbled away, and, hoisting Sara onto his shoulders for the first time in a long while, he galloped down the street with her, all the way to the church, where a clergyman standing outside gave them a friendly wave.

The Have Nots by Katharina Hacker

It was almost noon, and the sun which blazed across Sydney harbour was pitiless in its intensity.

Passage to Mutiny by Alexander Kent

Today I decided to read Genealogy of Morals by Nietzsche. I was going to participate in this thread until I realized the first sentence of this book was as long as many paragraphs.

I learned early on that if you tell people what you see at low tide they'll think you're exaggerating or lying when you're actually just explaining strange and wonderful things as clearly as you can.

The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch

Back