• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Last Book You Read

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer :star4:

in all his books he seems to get sidetracked and ramble about stuff not important to the story but still love his books.

I noticed that too. Into the Wild seemed to me to be about half Krakauer autobiography.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, by Agatha Christie. It's a collection of six short stories, five solved by Hercule Poirot and one solved by Miss Marple.

I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis. Slightly gimmicky, but I enjoyed the story and Kalogridis' descriptions of life in 1400's Italy.

Last Book

The last book I read was Wilber Smith - The Quest.

This guy just rips me to shreds with his graphic detail descriptions and super-emotional tone which runs at a consistent fast pace. The amount of times I woke up in the morning with a headache was amazing. I couldn't stop.

One negative point though, The Quest got a bit "magical" for my liking. Too much divine activity and powers etc. I liked the earlier in the series better - raw, gory and great!

One negative point though, The Quest got a bit "magical" for my liking. Too much divine activity and powers etc. I liked the earlier in the series better - raw, gory and great!

By magic you mean the part where the bad sorceresse grow the penus back to the 400 years old enuch Taita by planting a seed in is lower part?

I think good old Wilbur is gone a bit mad and is young wife from Tajikistan make him which he got that sort of magic!

WS_niso.jpg

:star4: Endymion Spring - Endymion Spring :star4:

Endymion Spring was an engaging novel, and I found it intriguing how Matthew incorporated true scenes with fantastic believeable fantasy scenes. I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed;
  • Harry Potter
  • Inkheart Series
  • Twilight
  • Keys To The Kingdom
  • Tomorrow Series

No Country for Old Men -- Cormac McCarthy.

The almost bland prose being engaged to tell such a gory, dirty story worked exceptionally well. Usually I don't like punctuation being omitted, but it seemed appropriate in telling the story of no-nonsense country men.
Gripping, although it began to wane by the end.

:star4: 1/2

In The Flesh - Clive Barker :star3:

It was pretty good not as good as some of his other stuff. But one of the story's in it was 'The Forbidden' which the movie candyman was made after.And i was terrified of it when i was young. After reading the story it was such a let down, not even worth reading that story in the book.

I had two on the go: Tricks of the Mind - Derren Brown and The Stone Boudoir - Theresa Maggio

Brown's book was quite interesting - covering topics such as hypnosis, NLP, psychic ability etc, but toward the end I found Brown really smug and irritating. I have seen his show live though and he's fabulous. Just not keen on his preachy tone in his writing.

Maggio's 'The Stone Boudoir' is her personal account of her travels to Sicily - the birth place of her parents. She visits the small, unknown mountain villages that 'turn their back on the sea'. Very easy to read - short chapters, short paragraphs - little nuggets of stories and descriptions of the places and the people. Really lovely book.

Back