• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

the make friends thread!

Why do you feel misery?
Because we have emotions, we have feelings. Whether imagined or real, doesn't matter, we feel pain, love, hatred, and misery.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I'm not saying you are. I'm saying that clearly misery is a quanitifable, observable, and real emotional response and it IS real.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Okay, so you are in control of your own life.

Why do you feel misery, love, pain, etc& ?
First, because I wipe my own butt, that does not mean I am in control of my life; I can guide it.

Secondly, even if you're in control of your life, that doesn't mean you're in control of your emotions, and I'm glad we're not.

There's a difference between guiding and controling.

Anyway, why can't you guide you emotions? Does that matter? Does that make 'em less real?

sandra! said:
yes. i like origami, have large sums of money, i'm trustworthy, and i have a complete set of kidneys.

Excellent. Then let's get the thread back on topic and ignore all those philosophical dweebies talking about their sad blue bottoms.

If I'm to be your friend, I'll need your complete schedule and home address. I never really feel I know a person until I've stalked them for a couple of weeks and rifled through their bins once or twice.

In other news...do the moderators on this forum not have the power to split threads? That way all the posts about misery and arse wiping could be tucked away in their own little thread.

I know there is a difference between the two.

Why do you feel? Why can't you control it? It matters. It does make them real or not.

If I was a moderator I would ban you :) Even if it's a joke I think that is no way to talk to somebody. You go to far. Not to mention you are talking utter, well... shit.

That's it. I'm outta this conversation.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Litany said:
Excellent. Then let's get the thread back on topic and ignore all those philosophical dweebies talking about their sad blue bottoms.

If I'm to be your friend, I'll need your complete schedule and home address. I never really feel I know a person until I've stalked them for a couple of weeks and rifled through their bins once or twice.

In other news...do the moderators on this forum not have the power to split threads? That way all the posts about misery and arse wiping could be tucked away in their own little thread.

lol okay. weekdays i stay at home- i eat, watch tv and sleep. weekends- i play tennis at this country club. I live in a little mousehole by the beach.

warm_enema said:
Come on, Litany, you greedy little tart...join us.

No. I can't be doing with all this existential nonsense. I swear people just argue that things aren't really there and apples aren't apples just so they can infuriate other people and wind them up. Not that I would ever accuse you of deliberately trying to wind people up. ;) But it just doesn't interest me even slightly. If you want to claim that everything is a figment of the imagination of a giant's hairy arse, then that's your claim and there's really nothing anyone can say to dispute it. It's like you trying to disprove the existence of the invisible, formless, neon-pink, flying monkeys I have living in my loft. You just can't.

And I'm not greedy. Those pies would have gone stale if I hadn't eaten them.

Litany said:
No. I can't be doing with all this existential nonsense. I swear people just argue that things aren't really there and apples aren't apples just so they can infuriate other people and wind them up. Not that I would ever accuse you of deliberately trying to wind people up. ;) But it just doesn't interest me even slightly. If you want to claim that everything is a figment of the imagination of a giant's hairy arse, then that's your claim and there's really nothing anyone can say to dispute it. It's like you trying to disprove the existence of the invisible, formless, neon-pink, flying monkeys I have living in my loft. You just can't.

And I'm not greedy. Those pies would have gone stale if I hadn't eaten them.
Okay. I didn't even know about the pies. You really are. Why didn't you share? What flavour were they? I was referring to your want of someone else's kidneys.

Litany.

I agree, it would be nice if this thread was split in two different threads, and my apologies for shamelessly stealing it. Didn't have to call me a philosophical dweebie, though. Apologies retracted.

Enema.

I'll start with this: Can you control your reaction when someone scares you? No, you can't, because it is caused by something that is out of your control. Emotions are like that, just slower. It's not a momentary reaction, which is over in a second, it can take days, months, years. The essence of this: you can't control them because they are caused by external forces, over which you have no control.

Now, Enema, please make your point. You're cryptic questions aren't going anywhere, and I'm having the feeling I'm wasting my time here. Take the time to write an elaborate post in which you prove your initial statement, that misery is not real. No more questions, just facts. Then I'll refute them.

sandra! said:
lol okay. weekdays i stay at home- i eat, watch tv and sleep. weekends- i play tennis at this country club. I live in a little mousehole by the beach.

Ooh. You sound positively pocket sized. How adorable. You could be my special travel friend, for occasions when a full sized friend would be inconvenient, or simply inappropriate.

Wabbit: Takes more than being called a 'greedy little tart' by a complete stranger on the internet to offend me, so please don't be offended for me. :) Maybe you should take this view...If someone's saying something you think is offensive, they either mean to offend, mean it as a joke, or it was a complete accident. If it was one of the latter two options, then just laugh it off. If it was the former, well they want you to be offended, so piss them off instead and still laugh it off.

warm-enema: The pies were too tasty for sharing. As mentioned previously, they're just for me and my Wabbit. They were mostly blue with a hint of misery, I doubt you would have enjoyed them. It's true, I'm greedy for kidneys, but I have a metabolic condition and can't be help responsible for my organ stealing tendancies. I have a letter from my doctor and everything.

You have no control of external sources, I agree. Yet you do have control over yourself. You may blame others for the way you feel. I think, you choose to feel this way or that way, because you want too. When you stop wanting to feel that way, it will stop. When it isn't there, in any way, how is it still real?

These question have hardly been cryptic.

Back