• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The official 2012 apocalypse thread

I'm worried. There have been no Public Service Announcements. How am I supposed to know what to pack? What is appropriate apocalypse etiquette? Will I need to bring my own raincoat or will those be provided?

By all means. Those of us who have seen Braindead know how useful all sorts of kitchen and garden implements can be against zombies.

Do we know for sure that the Mayapocalypse won't involve zombies?

Bugarach: Town 'set to survive the Mayan Apocalypse' cracks open End of the World wine | Mail Online

Bugarach - population: 176 - has been earmarked by doomsday cults as the only place in the world which is going to survive Armageddon
It is based on an interpretation of the Mayan calendar which claims a planet is on a crash course with Earth and will impact on December 21 2012
According to prophecy aliens will emerge from their 'spaceship garage' in the town's Pic de Bugarach mountain and pluck believers to safety
'Authentic Bugarach stones' are on sale for €1.50 a gram while a bottle of water from the local spring will cost an eye-watering €15
One landowner is offering up his four-bedroom home for £1,200 a night and can offer a camping space in his field for £324
'Apocalypse pizza' and 'End of the World vintage' wine also available

Man Builds Modern Day Noah's Ark In Wake Of The Mayan Apocalypse (PHOTOS) | Global Grind
Lu Zhenghai, of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in northwest China, has spent $160,000 on the boat, which he designed on his own. The boat is 65 feet long, and will weigh roughly 80 tons when completed. Lu says he began crafting the boat in 2010, fearing that a "doomsday" flood would claim the lives of his family. Convinced that the end is coming, Lu is extending an invitation to everyone: "When the time comes, everyone can take refuge in it."

Lu's ark was built using 10 tons of timber and 60 tons of steel. It remains unfinished due to a lack of funds.
Not only is it unfinished he also spent his life savings to build it.

If he's savvy, he could generously offer to save those who contribute funds for him to finish this lifesaving project.

Realistically, I'll spend the 21st christmas shopping. I'm pretty sure I'll welcome the end of the world.

The PTB at work have almost decided that everyone will have to be at work on the 19th and 20th, just in case there is a panic...they had the same reaction for Y2K.

The high school kids get the day off, and I'm hoping Mr. Abc can do the same, just because he needs the extra time off. Not too worried about anything catastrophic. Hopefully, we will have the Christmas shopping done by then. I'd hate to have to deal with crowds that weekend. I'd rather spend the time baking and listening to Christmas music or watching movies with the family.

at least that clip shows our esteemed Prime Minister has a sense of humour, no matter how lacking she might be in other ways.. (yes, I'm Australian, and not a Labor voter)

Essential list of precautions:

Digital Reading in a Post-Apocalyptic World - The Digital Reader

The Mayan calendar ends in only 13 days, and as everyone knows that is a sure sign of a coming apocalypse. Are you prepared for keeping up your ebook habit in the aftermath?

(...)

In my next post on surviving the post-apocalyptic world, I will show how two problems like an excess population and a food shortage can have complimentary solutions. Stay tuned.

As long as you're strong and a good worker, you should be fine. :)

Chains are readily available, and manacles can easily be manufactured. I fully expect to have an available supply of labor, and even after I factor in the cost of hiring the guards I should still be able to power my ereader and whatever else I need to run.

Yes, this will be brutal on the slave labor, but sacrifices need to be made in order to maintain a bare minimum of civilization. I’m sure they’ll understand.

Back