• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Seven Types of Bookstore Customers

Which of the Seven Types best describes you?

• Seeker

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Idiot

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Grazer

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Browser

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Camper

• Independent

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Time-suck

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Stewart. I am Stewart.

• Motokid. I go to the bookstore to chit chat with the other customers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Seven types of bookstore customers.

Amusing and, based on my experiences as a Browser, largely accurate article.

The Seven Types condensed:

Seekers: want a book — a specific book: only this book will do.

Idiots: can only remember 1 detail, and often not a salient detail — not enough to find the book, but they still have a specific book in mind.

Grazers: love bookstores-as-a-concept, and love lingering leisurely over all the tables, racks, endcaps, promotional displays, and front-of-store placements.

Browsers: have a favourite category, and once you direct them to the appropriate section, they’ll help themselves.

Campers: They come, they sit, they stay for hours.

Independents: don’t want help, but they do want a book.

Time-sucks: who want help, and personal recommendations, and plot synopses and books just like their favorite author’s but not their favorite author’s because they’ve read all those — and they’d like gift ideas and want to know what you’re reading, and who you’re favorite author is, etc. etc. etc.

I'm making the poll anonymous so you can be brutally honest with yourself.

Which of the Seven Types best describes you?

Which of the Seven Types could you do without?

I'm a Browser with a slight Seeker leaning and I can't stand Campers, especially Student Campers sprawled out into little bookstore shanty towns.

I'm a Browser, with some Seeker and some Independent tendencies. Also a former Student (finally done, woo hoo).

I'm a Browser with a slight Seeker leaning and I can't stand Campers, especially Student Campers sprawled out into little bookstore shanty towns.

Don't hate on the students. If you lived in an 8x15-foot-room with a smelly roommate whose sleeping habits are opposite of yours, you'd camp out somewhere else, too ;-)

I'm a grazer. I just love looking around and usually end up with something I never knew I wanted.

I'm a browser and a gazer---I'm always looking for something new. If I walk the aisles randomly, I might trip over something I would have never thought to read.

I wish I'd looked at the definitions before I voted.. I guess I'm an Independant Grazer with Idiotic tendancies. I blame the coffee fumes for draining every single remaining synapse from my brain case..What am I looking for? Danged if I can remember.

Hmm..I voted Browser,but reading thru the defs,I'd say I'm an Independant Grazer,tho' I've been called other names! : )

INDEPENDENT!!!!!!! Even if I need help and someone asks me ill still say " no I'm fine". :cool: Which might explain why I cant find books at stores that say they have them online.......

Combo of browser and independent. I'll search the store to find the book I want, and only when I'm sure that I've searched everywhere is when I'll ask for help.

I found myself being an idiot at imes but most of the times I'm the independent browser chit chatting with the employees. :)

Back