• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top 5 Bands

RitalinKid said:
99%? I think you're a little generous with your assessment. Even rap artists are using bands now.
brian eno wrote that if you were born in 1920, 95% of the music that you hear in your life is electronic.

Top 5 bands/artists:

1) Garou (surprised anyone?)
2) David Bowie
3) Billy Joel
4) The Tea Party (saw them live!)
5) Morrissey

At least, that's my Top 5 at the moment... I'm sure it will change soon. :rolleyes:

bobbyburns said:
brian eno wrote that if you were born in 1920, 95% of the music that you hear in your life is electronic.
"Hear" is the key word in that sentence. If you hear music coming from a speaker, the music is electronic regardless of whether its bluegrass or techno. However, that is not what I'm talking about. Electronic music in the way that I'm referring to it is produced by sound waves that were originated inside a computer as 1s and 0s, no instruments. I'm not against electronic music. I love effects, and Keller Williams does a great one-man-band show with some electronics and instruments. What I find annoying about 80s music is the overpowering electronic sound. I listened to Hornsby's "That's Just The Way It Is" tonight. It's a good song, but the guitar and strings were "more machine than man" to borrow a line from Star Wars. To sum it up, I don't like music to sound formulaic (like even books can be) and like it was typed in Word and then sent to the speakers instead of the printer.

...and, almost forgot, I would venture to say that 99% of the music you hear is not created and produced from a computer without the use of instruments.

if you don't know the difference between electronic and computer generated music, I'm not inclined to brief you. god invented search engines for a reason.

you must've seen something that wasn't there, because I never gave a definition.

I've got it, though. you can place all the products of the recording age in the category of 'electronic music'. the microphone, the mixing board, the electric guitar, the synthesizer, etc. are all electronic instruments. the recording process itself has even become an instrument (just listen to any steve reich album). generative music was just a logical development from earlier methods of composing.

dele said:
Top 5 bands/artists:

1) Garou (surprised anyone?)
2) David Bowie
3) Billy Joel
4) The Tea Party (saw them live!)
5) Morrissey

Hurrah, another Morrissey fan! That makes a whole er... three of us here. Forum domination will surely follow. ;)

bobbyburns said:
I never said that you gave a definition. See below. This is the reason I asked for your definition.
RitalinKid said:
I was going with the definition put forth by your quote.
I was simply saying that the quote you posted implies a definition of electronic music as anything that passes through any sort of amplification or recording circuitry because we know that electronica and computer generated music was not yet available for mass consumption. See below. I even noted that that definition was not the one I was using.
RitalinKid said:
If you hear music coming from a speaker, the music is electronic regardless of whether its bluegrass or techno. However, that is not what I'm talking about.
So, bobby, we've danced around a definition and wasted perfectly good posting space for people to list their top five bands. :) Oh, well. Sometimes it's just really hard to communicate clearly on a board.

Halo said:
Hurrah, another Morrissey fan! That makes a whole er... three of us here. Forum domination will surely follow. ;)
And after forum domination there is but one thing left... world domination!! :D

I always knew I was destined for greatness!

You can join me in my nefarious plans if you like. :) But you'll have to bring your own fluffy white cat.

Oh yes, fluffy white cats are obligatory in any self-respecting world domination plan. :) What should our first decree be? How about, everyone has to listen to 10 Morrissey songs before they are allowed to even consider the idea that he is a miserable whingeing git?

Well, he must have performed at least 10 songs, and I am in a generous mood for a despot, so OK then, you are reprieved from our decree. :) Where did you see him? And I take it you concluded that he is a miserable whingeing git?

Festival :p Only saw him as I couldn't be bothered to move from where I was sprawled. He wasn't too miserable or whining, but he certainly was an old git :D

Back