• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vampire Novel Recommendations

Great Vampire Book... Check out FEAR FACTORS by Peter Andrew Sacco. The book is 10 short stories long, but one of the stories "Open Season" has to be one of the best, scariest, erotically, psychologically sadistic vampire stories I have ever read! And the rest of the stories in the book blew me away...they are sci-fi meets fiction meets horror. He has to be one of the best young author to come along since Stephen King and Anne Rice!

Regards
Talia

check out Blood Worship

Check out Blood Worship by Barbara Mack at booklocker.com I loved it!
Scary vampire, great characters, well-written. Classic vampire literature.

Just gotta tell you about Charlaine Harris - she writes in a very similar vein to Laurell K Hamilton.

Her first book is called 'Dead Until Dark' and it's an ongoing series. I loved these, once I got over the stumbling block that the main character was called Sookie Stackhouse :)

'Salem's Lot - Stephen King
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Dracula - Bram Stroker
Interview With the Vampire - Anne Rice
There's the four classic vampire books. All very different, but all very brilliant.

I have a friend who banged on and on and on about Anne Rice, so I eventually caved and bought Interview With a Vampire, which is next on my list to be read. Hope its good!

Freya said:
I have a friend who banged on and on and on about Anne Rice, so I eventually caved and bought Interview With a Vampire, which is next on my list to be read. Hope its good!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. She's has an incredible gift in her writing style. If you find you like her style, I'd suggest you pick up The Mummy, as well as The Mayfair Witches Trilogy (The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos).

Freya said:

I had a friend who did the same. So I caved in as well. But I hated it. :( My second favourite vampire book is I Am Legend. I think I just need a bit more of a intelligent twist to an otherwise over used genre. Fevre Dream was pretty good too.

My favourite vampire book is The Reluctant Vampire by Eric Morcambe. It's fantastic. About a vegetarian vampire who eats blood oranges. :D

dalescoffee&pie said:
Was just wondering, as a huge Anne Rice fan, which other vampire books are close to hers? I mean bordering on the erotic? :eek:

The Peter Hamilton vampire books about Anita Blake are definately what you're looking for ;)

Laurell K Hamiltons other series is really good as well, not about vampires but it has just about every mythical creature you can think of when it comes to Fey, also written with the same sort of erotica. The first book is called A Kiss of Shadows. The main character is Merry Gentry.

{Tigress} said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed. She's has an incredible gift in her writing style. If you find you like her style, I'd suggest you pick up The Mummy, as well as The Mayfair Witches Trilogy (The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos).

Welllll..... I wasn't disappointed, but then again I wasn't overly impressed. The first 100 pages amused me, the stuff in the middle where Louis, Lestat and Claudia are milling around bored me a bit, but after that it seemed to perk up a bit. Saying that, I didn't really like the ending, she could have a stopped about 20 pages before, I didn't need to know what happened to Armand really :)

That was my first official dabbling in the vampire world. I'm quite keen to read something else - Litany I can't stop thinking about that book you mentioned, with the vegetarian vampire, sounds hilarious :D

Freya said:
Litany I can't stop thinking about that book you mentioned, with the vegetarian vampire, sounds hilarious :D

It was hilarious. But it's out of print. :( Eric Morcambe wrote a few kiddy books and they were very funny indeed.

Yeh I noticed that on amazon when I had a quick pootle round :( Oh well, plenty more fish on the TBR pile... or books in the sea... whatever.

I haven't read lots of vampire novels, but the couple I have read and enjoyed were both by P.N. Elrod--
Red Death (first in a small trilogy)
I, Strahd (part of the Ravenloft series of dark fantasy).

No one has mentioned "The Historian" It's about the hunt for the elusive Vlad The Impaler (real historical figure) AKA as the legend calls for as "Dracula"

It's very involved, and the author gets very detailed with historical facts. If you like history as I do, you'll love this book. But I'll be honest, there were a few parts that I had trouble getting through because of the detail, and there were other parts that I thought I should be reading it in the daylight.

I would also recommend Brian Stableford's Empire of Fear. It's kind of an alternate reality where all the world's leaders have been vampires. It starts out in the 14th century and goes up thru the 1980's.

Back