• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Very calm...very very quiet...deadly

Not me..all I can hear is the fan..and the radio. The radio works just fine:whistling:

I sometimes think about trying again with hope that they might have improved with new technology. But I think it's easier just to teach people how to talk with someone with my hearing problems.

Can't you just tell whoever is talking to you to talk in the right ear? Or are both equally bad/good?

I've tried to train the kids to whisper their secrets in my right ear..really, I have. They KNOW I can't hear..and I've tried to explain that when more than one of them are speaking at the same time, I can't differentiate between them. It must be easier to throw their hands up and claim I'm not listening..or to say, "OH, never mind!":rolleyes::banghead6mx::rolleyes:

I've tried to train the kids to whisper their secrets in my right ear..really, I have. They KNOW I can't hear..and I've tried to explain that when more than one of them are speaking at the same time, I can't differentiate between them. It must be easier to throw their hands up and claim I'm not listening..or to say, "OH, never mind!":rolleyes::banghead6mx::rolleyes:

I get "Oh, never mind!" too. They need to understand that if you don't understand, that they need to restate rather then repeat.

I get "Oh, never mind!" too. They need to understand that if you don't understand, that they need to restate rather then repeat.

And one of my sons tends to mutter...I have a terrible time hearing him clearly. My "misheards" are the stuff of family legend..as in, let's drag them out and use them to get a laugh at mom's expense..Dad ABC is going to have to intervene again, I think.

And one of my sons tends to mutter...I have a terrible time hearing him clearly. My "misheards" are the stuff of family legend..as in, let's drag them out and use them to get a laugh at mom's expense..Dad ABC is going to have to intervene again, I think.

We had more misunderstandings when the kids were young and voices higher. As if that wasn't bad enough, they used to mumble just to mess with me. I got 'em back by not understanding when they wanted something. ;)

We had more misunderstandings when the kids were young and voices higher. As if that wasn't bad enough, they used to mumble just to mess with me. I got 'em back by not understanding when they wanted something. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm adept at selective deafness too...This particular son always sounds like he's either got a mouthful of mush or he's underwater. It's weird. His hearing is great, he plays fiddle and mandolin beautifully.

Do accents give you problems?

Only in the sense I have to listen more carefully. Just last night our British friend Tony called I had the speaker feature on the phone so I could leave the hearing aid in..I was fine til he launched off into a spiel from Life of Brian, and he started mangling his 'rs'. I took the aid out and switched the phone back, and then he explained what he was doing. Really, We've come a very long way since the time he told me he'd 'give me a tinkle later.' I told him he should call me instead:lol:

Now, Tony and his wife Angie, I have very little trouble with.. it's Angie's mom..her dad and Tony's parents are no trouble either.. even their Scottish Godfather friend Fulton isn't too bad..he just talks at the speed of light...Angie's mom, on the otherhand, has a totally different speech pattern, and I find myself nodding my head and smiling. A lot. She's a wonderful lady, though.

he just talks at the speed of light
Woah, that's fast!

I feel better now, about trying to understand spoken Spanish. They speak so fast.

My gran has hearing aids. She just keeps them in their little box in the pouch of her armchair, though, and still can't hear anything anyone says.

Woah, that's fast!

I feel better now, about trying to understand spoken Spanish. They speak so fast.

My gran has hearing aids. She just keeps them in their little box in the pouch of her armchair, though, and still can't hear anything anyone says.

Of course she can't hear anything...the aids are in the box in the pouch of her chair...they belong in her ears!:lol:
Me, I'm deaf in one ear; can't hear in the other:whistling:

...and I find myself nodding my head and smiling. A lot. She's a wonderful lady, though.

:lol: I do that, too.

I have the most trouble with people that speak spanish as a first language. It seems that I need a translator, even if they're speaking english.

:lol: I do that, too. ]

I've found that offerings of fresh homemade bread go over well too..doesn't hurt:lol:

[I have the most trouble with people that speak spanish as a first language. It seems that I need a translator, even if they're speaking english.

I don't have so much trouble with Spanish accents...possibly due to having heard them more often. There was a certain student teacher in my High School Spanish 2 class, on the other hand...Nice fella, but nobody understood him. We were asked to evaluate him and the whole class agreed he needed to work more on his English before he was turned loose on unsuspecting Spanish students.

I've found that offerings of fresh homemade bread go over well too..doesn't hurt:lol:

What a great idea!!!

I took spanish in High School until I realized that I couldn't keep up. I didn't understand my hearing issues at the time so I though I was stupid.

I wish I understood my hearing problems much earlier in my life. It has caused a lot of embarrassment and made me feel bad about myself for a lot of year.

I took spanish in High School until I realized that I couldn't keep up. I didn't understand my hearing issues at the time so I though I was stupid.

I wish I understood my hearing problems much earlier in my life. It has caused a lot of embarrassment and made me feel bad about myself for a lot of year.

Tell me about it. There was the flunked Typing class in the 9th grade..the room was huge, and we all had electric typewriters(remember how they hummed?) and the teacher stood at the front of the room with no microphone(those were for performers, remember!)...then there was drivers ed. My instructer sat on my bad side and spoke in a soft voice...until he slammed on his personal brake. Do you think I thought to inform him of my hearing issues? Not this girl. I still passed, but I might have done much better on the driving part of the course if I'd just spoken up and told the teacher why I seemed oblivious to some of his instructions. Live and learn.

PS..I still don't type very well:innocent:

Tell me about it. There was the flunked Typing class in the 9th grade..the room was huge, and we all had electric typewriters(remember how they hummed?) and the teacher stood at the front of the room with no microphone(those were for performers, remember!)...then there was drivers ed. My instructer sat on my bad side and spoke in a soft voice...until he slammed on his personal brake. Do you think I thought to inform him of my hearing issues? Not this girl. I still passed, but I might have done much better on the driving part of the course if I'd just spoken up and told the teacher why I seemed oblivious to some of his instructions. Live and learn.

PS..I still don't type very well:innocent:

I know. There was Spanish of course, and spelling (can't sound it out if you can't hear all the sounds), and just about everything else.

me: I'm sorry, did you say abc?
other: no, I said efg; how did you get abc out of that?
me: just what I thought I heard.

By the way, a, b & c all sound alike to me, making grading papers in class a real pain in the butt.

I know. There was Spanish of course, and spelling (can't sound it out if you can't hear all the sounds), and just about everything else.

me: I'm sorry, did you say abc?
other: no, I said efg; how did you get abc out of that?
me: just what I thought I heard.

By the way, a, b & c all sound alike to me, making grading papers in class a real pain in the butt.

Oh yeah..toss in a teacher with a different accent..say a Southern one..dont' get me wrong ya'll- I LOVE Southern accents! But, ya'll slant your vowels and pronounce some things a little differently than we refugees from the Great American Outback...Really, other accents do stuff like that too.. it's when you have a transplanted teacher trying to help kids spell or read, it can get confusing.

For the record, my mom was from Georgia, so I shoulda been better prepared:lol:

Back