• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What did Thumper's Daddy say?

sirmyk said:
I believe one must post 67 times in order to switch from newbie to old-timer status. Since this is my 67th post, I will allow all you newbies out there to bow before me and kiss my feet...
If you're an oldtimer, what am I?

Cheers

Foot kissing?? Ewww! I do great foot massages,but I draw the line at foot kissin'.. that's just not of Gawd ;)

In the bible, didn't Mary kiss the feet of Christ, and then wash them with her hair? Okay, so it's not entirely the same thing. Yes, feet are gross. There are plenty of other things to kiss.

sirmyk said:
In the bible, didn't Mary kiss the feet of Christ, and then wash them with her hair? Okay, so it's not entirely the same thing. Yes, feet are gross. There are plenty of other things to kiss.

my feet are really pretty. really. i have lovely feet.

Oh feet! Ouchie, I broke my freaking second toe about three hours ago on a wall I really should have been familiar enough not to slam it into.

Just reading the word feet makes it hurt more. How can something so darn little hurt so bad?

But FTR, because I'm so anal and always have to remark on stuff like this, the woman who used her hair on Christ's feet is only named as "an immoral woman" or "a certain sinful woman" in Luke 7:30-something. In Catholic tradition, she's fused to the Magdalene, but she could have just been some random gal per Scripture.

Just to add my 2 scents, 2 pence, or whatever currency you maybe using.

Unfortunately there seem to be a few very rude and arrogant people on this forum. I have been here quite awhile and you always get the odd person but at the moment it numbers quite a few and their rudeness is not only directed and newbies or contained within the writers show case.

Those members here that are rude, snippy, insulting are just plain cowards and that's all there is to it. They feel brave and safe on a forum when in real life they would never dream of acting in such a manner. I'm willing to bet a large sum of hard cash that those rude and snippy people on this forum wouldn't say *boo* in person.

As Kook said, if you can't say something nice then why not say nothing at all? Are you so insecure? Can't we all just get along :)

There... my rant over. Nothing to see... move on!

Hmmm was a joke but maybe I was wrong. We all do wrong from time to time right?

Would you like to try dig up anything else or you done now? How does finding one case where I may have been rude ( GOSH you mean im not perfect? :eek: ) invalidate my points? I'm pretty nice to most people 95 percent of the time. Would you agree with that?

That was not a specific dig at you fuzzy face, you are not the only person who posted in that thread, and yours was not the harshest thing said...just an example of the fact that nothing new is happening around here that hasn't happened in the past. And some of the past things are worse than some of the present things you speak of.

As people come and people go, so do different, and sometimes abrasive personalities. I think this forum has a great bunch, and wide variety of people. I don't want to see things change, and I like how we, for the most part, police ourselves.

I'm not sure I would call anybody a coward here unless they flame out someone and then dissappear altogether. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt and try to work things out within the forum guidelines, and not have to have Mod. intervention, or just stomp away angry and refuse to play anymore.

I just don't see that there's a problem. Certainly not a huge problem.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Do others here think that there's a serious problem with disrespect?

I know you were not digging at me in person. I just get slightly irritated with the "lets dig something up nah nah nah" tactic instead of actually debating the topic in a serious manner :)

Sure, I have been rude in the past. Sure, in the future I maybe rude again. Nobody is perfect.... he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that. Nobody is perfect and CERTAINLY not I. That I would never claim. I do feel however that I try to treat everybody with respect and in general am not rude, snippy, or sarcastic.

There are those on the board that are, in general, rude and unpleasant to others. Not ALL the time, but enough.

so then the questiuon becomes, what's the solution?

The only thing I can say is we police ourselves, and when somebody reads a post that's out of line they get called on it right then and there.

i sometimes pm the person who has been treated rudely and just give them a heads up and say "hey we not all like that" etc.

Motokid said:
so then the questiuon becomes, what's the solution?

The only thing I can say is we police ourselves, and when somebody reads a post that's out of line they get called on it right then and there.

There is no real solution or, at least, if there is one then I don't know what it is. Kind of the way of the world. Manners and respect are something of a rare commodity. At least in real if somebody insults me they have to answer to the result of it :D

"if there is one then I don't know what it is"

The answer is police ourselves.
Protect the newb, and stick up for those who need help.
Step in when you see something you don't like, and call it as you see it.

If nothing else it'll cause a dialog that will let the newb, or any member know that not everybody here is rude, and that they have a friend. Knowing somebodies got your back is a very reassuring thing.

Doing it behind the scenes like jenn mentioned may not work well in that it took me a few weeks to even know how to read and write pm's. I think posting it right in the thread for all to see is the best way to handle things. Get it all out in the open for all to see and comment on as needed.

Honesty. Isn't that what this is all about. If you think somebody is being rude call them on it.

"Yes, but that often doesn't work."

It's got to work better than nothing at all, or discussion it weeks, or months after the fact when things are blurry and emotions are forgotten.

trying to eradicate a mistake at the moment the mistake is made is better than trying to explain it in another thread at another time.

That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

Back