• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What did you read in May?

Wells83

I love these threads, and since there hasn't been one for this past month yet, I thought I'd start one.

The Wednesday Letters, Jason F. Wright

On the Road, Jack Keroauc

The Real McCain: Why Conservatives Don't Trust Him and Independents Shouldn't, Cliff Schecter

Nectar from a Stone, Jane Guill

Me Talk Pretty One Day, David Sedaris

Oscar and Lucinda, Peter Carey

The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch

One Thousand White Women, Jim Fergus

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver

The Catcher in the Rye (loved it!)

The curious Incident Of the Dog in the Nighttime (well written, not exactly my style)

Great Expectations (loved the story line, although not a huge Dickens fan)

The Outsiders (best book ever!!....read 14 times haha)

Twilight (had to give it a fair shot before riding it off)

Faherenheit 451 (absolutely amazing!)

random manga (haha what can I say? I'm obsessed!)

Games Criminals Play; by Bud Allen/ Diana Bosta
This was an excellent book, it illustrated how inmates try to "turn out" guards and then get what they want from them through a variety of ways. A lot of the behaviors mentioned in the book are what I see everyday, though on a lesser extent.

Old Goriot; by Honore de Balzac
This book was a real treat, a fascinating read on class in French society and the tragedy of a father believing that success, rather than love, is something that is most important.

Portnoy's Complaint; Philip Roth
This book was like Mike Tyson in a boxing match-it started with a lot of gusto and wind, and then died down and all energy quickly disappeared in the later rounds. The humor was great in the first couple of chapters, and then it was written from there as if Roth got bored and just wanted to print it off and be done with it.

Othello; Bill Shakespeare
One of Bill's works that I've never read before. It was an excellent play with tones of race and jealousy thrown into the mix. I really enjoyed this work, something I recommend with five stars.

A Wolf at the Table; Augusten Burroughs
Not as humorous as Running with Scissors. As a matter of fact, it reads like a hair raising horror novel. The book focuseson the mind games that Augusten's father played on him for years. A great psychological portrait of his father, even if a few items are questionable in terms of plausibility.

I'm really jealous of most of you because the only book I read in May was "The Third Man" by Graham Greene.

The Stand by Stephen King: liked it but it's still second to the Tailsman as far as the his works i've gotten to read

Life of Pi : it was good but not life altering or anything like that

Perks of Being a Wallflower: couldn't get into this book. it was a bit too immature for me and tried to hard to be Catcher in the Rye

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings: working on right now, tried it once before but gave up now i'm further than i was last time so i'll probably actually get through the book this time.

On the Road, Jack Keroauc

The Real McCain: Why Conservatives Don't Trust Him and Independents Shouldn't, Cliff Schecter

Interesting selections here. One of these days, I'll get to On The Road. The McCain book looks very interesting-conservatives definitely don't view him as one of them but he's the "lesser" evil compared to Hillary or Obama in their eyes. He should go the way of Wendell Wilkie if the democrats can run a good race.

Interesting selections here. One of these days, I'll get to On The Road. The McCain book looks very interesting-conservatives definitely don't view him as one of them but he's the "lesser" evil compared to Hillary or Obama in their eyes. He should go the way of Wendell Wilkie if the democrats can run a good race.

On the Road was very tedious for me. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I didn't like Kerouac's style.

I read the McCain book because I wanted to know exacly why Conservatives don't like him. I had heard he was a big flip flopper but I wanted to know specifically what issues he's flipped on. The answer was basically all of them. :p

Sweet Revenge- Diane Mott Davidson 2/5

Christine Falls- Benjamin Black 5/5

The Beekeeper's Apprentice- Laurie R. King 4/5

The Bounty- Derek Wolcott(St. Lucia) 2/5

Adventure Guide-Virgin Islands-Lyn Sullivan 2/5

Adventure Guide-Cayman Islands-Petra Permenter 2/5

Snapshots of Belize- ed. Michael Plillips 4/5

many books,i cant remember all but i can try

H.I.V.E
An excellent book by Mark Walden,its about a teenager called otto who is taken to a top secret school for criminals and villians

H.I.V.E The Overlord Protocol
The sequel to H.I.V.E,while otto tried to escape the school in the first book,in the second book hes trying to save it from another criminal called cypher

Pawn Of Prophecy
A great book by david eddings,it follows the quest of a boy called garion,its a bit hard to explain tho

Queen Of Sorcery
The sequel to pawn of prophecy,its slightly better

The Dark Is Rising
A good book by susan cooper,its the second book in a 5 book seiries of the same name as this book.it doesnt matter weather you read the first or second book first,because they have different narrators and are unrelated until the later books

Deaths Shadow
The seventh and latest book in Darren shans 'Demonata' series,my favorate so far

and so many more but i cant remember...

Fatherland by Robert Harris

Very fast-paced and thrilling book which had a very interesting subject

Archangel by Robert Harris

Another entertaining book with twists and turns and a very effective open-ended finish.

Blandings Castle by PG Wodehouse

I have only started reading his books, and find them amongst the funniest I've ever read.

Once Upon A Time in the North by Philip Pulman

Short but sweet tale about the first meeting between Lee Soresby and Iorek Brynson.

The Chameleon's Shadow by Minette Walters

I was drawn into the book because of the flawed nature of the protagonist, and though the initial chapters had me hooked, it lost steam towards the end.

Disordered Minds by Minette Walters

Terrific beginning, but what was supposed to be a book about who murdered Howard Stamp sidetracked into the causes of Cill Trelevyan's dissapearance and got into a complex web of problems which never broke.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)
The Book of Mordred – Vivian Vande Velde
The Hardy Boys Casefiles: Law of the Jungle – Franklin W. Dixon
The Hardy Boys Casefiles: Fast Break – Franklin W. Dixon
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)
The Hardy Boys Casefiles: Moment of Truth – Franklin W. Dixon
His Dark Materials, Book I: The Golden Compass – Philip Pullman
The Hardy Boys Casefiles: Cliff Hanger – Franklin W. Dixon
Nancy Drew Ghost Stories – Carolyn Keene
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH – Robert C. O’Brien
The Hardy Boys Casefiles: Acting Up – Franklin W. Dixon

ummmm..... okay.. okay all folks have really loooong list of books they read but please don't shoot me for I only read one book :D , The Difference Engine by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson.

Frankenstein-M. Shelley. A Classic that I read in highschool.

The Old Testament- (The first 4 books). What can I say. I can't believe a religion was founded on this book.

1st to Die-J. Patterson.

Blaze-S. King. Good book. I'm now reading Of Mice and Men. If you read Blaze you'd know why.

I read Getting Things Done by David Allen. I've been wanting to get organized for ages and it was recommended on a number of blogs, so I figured I'd give it a read. I'm much more organized and aware of all the stuff going on in my life.

Back