• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you do.......

denny said:
Pink Shadow - I think it's great to find booksellers who actually have an interest in books! From my experience, sadly these days, most booksellers are only interested in the price tag on the back, and know nothing about what they are trying to sell!

I have noticed that too, and I honestly wonder what people are doing in this business if they don't like books? But it's the same with record stores these days, I think. Ask the salesperson about anything that's not on the charts and they stare at you like you're from a different planet: "Is that Elvis with an i or a y?" ;)

The only "work" I actually do is homework as I'm in highschool. I've never had a part time job, but I am jealous of my friend who is a part time librarian. I have no wish to have a job right now as my exams are in... 5 or 6 weeks and I have stuff I should be doing in preparation. As for money, my mother gives me some from time to time when she remembers and the change from my lunch money tends to accumulate (especially if I skip lunch to stay in the art department and paint during lunch :p).

I'm a student of journalism living off birthday money :D and the occasional hand out from the folks.

Breaca, I'm from England too, originally from London (although, fortunately, I don't remember it), then Slough in Berkshire, and finally Worthing in West Sussex just before I crossed the pond!

Ms. said:
I'm a student of journalism living off birthday money :D and the occasional hand out from the folks.

Stay in college as long as you can. Enjoy the coffee-houses and library. Enjoy campus guest speakers and class discussions. The real world is not all that it's cracked up to be. No one ever died wishing they worked another day in their life.:D

No one ever died wishing they worked another day in their life.

How true, SFG - and it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Unless you're like pink shadow or Mari and can marry (pun?) your work with what you love, then the question for me is how much priority should you give your job over your home life? I'm a lawyer (solicitor to those in the UK) and while I like my job, I wouldn't do it for free...

SFG75 said:
Stay in college as long as you can. Enjoy the coffee-houses and library. Enjoy campus guest speakers and class discussions. The real world is not all that it's cracked up to be. No one ever died wishing they worked another day in their life.:D

Hear, hear! I think my first year at university, studying classical archaeology, was the best year of my life (so far). I met the best people, many of whom I'm still close friends with, and had long, interesting discussions on everything, and flirted and partied and, well sometimes I studied as well ;). So enjoy it while you can!

Inkheart said:
I'm a comment line operator for a radio station. Great fun and great raw material for characters. :)

We have an opinion line column in our daily paper. If those comments are remotely like the ones you get..you have the coolest job in the world! How do you keep from laughing at the goofy things people say? I'm amazed at the stoooopid stuff people will say, knowing it's being recorded for reprint:rolleyes:

Go Get 'em!

Scottishduffy said:
I am a critical care nurse on a ventilator unit. Let me tell you, absolutely nothing grosses ME out anymore. :)

That's awesome! I'm an assistant Medical Lab Technologist (internship for biology majors!) But I want to get into other med fields in the future! I still get woosy from some stuff. Mostly around the intestines!

Hats off to the medics.

I'm self employed as a Small Business Consultant. Unfortunately I don't save lives but I do breathe life into Profit & Loss accounts and Balance sheets:D

I am a digital systems operator for General Electric Aircraft Engines...thats just a fancy way of saying: "I sit in front of a computer."

Most of the time I am logged in to this forum I am at work...of course only when I am not busy testing jet engines!

I am the pastor of a small Christian community, have a web design / internet development company that pays the occasional bill, and am a full-time student in the sociology department at the University of Oklahoma.
Sleep is overrated.

I'm still a high school student, but I also have a job at the local fish 'n chip shop (which also sells pizzas and burgers - and at great prices I might add ;) ). It sounds like a drop-out job, but I'm actually the most well paid out of all of the kids in my year (grade).
Next year I'm planning on going to medical school. I can't wait :D

emptyparkinglot said:
That's awesome! I'm an assistant Medical Lab Technologist (internship for biology majors!) But I want to get into other med fields in the future! I still get woosy from some stuff. Mostly around the intestines!

I love when friends try to ask me about work. They think they want to know.... but I have quickly learned that no one *really* wants to know about my job. :D On the upside, I have far more interesting work stories than pretty much everyone I know. Though I have to tone everything down, most people don't understand the sick sense of humor that most medical people in certain areas will develop. Well, laugh or cry.

I have a friend who went into forensic nursing. That is a pretty cool area!

I'm a bookseller and actually I work with - just kidding, I don't work with pink shadow and mrkgnao but I spend alot of time disussing books with them! :D

Back