• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you pay for gas?

Motokid said:
yeah...if you'd have told me a few years ago that I could not fill an almost empty motorcycle gas tank with $10.00 using the low grade gas, I would have laughed right in your face....now I'm tryin' to remember when I put less than $10.00 in the tank and I use the low grade stuff.... :( :( :(

Don't I know it. I have a 7.5 gal tank with 1.5 gal in reserve. The only reason it costs less then $10 is because I never let it get down low enough.

Can someone explain to me how the gas that has been sitting in the underground tanks at my local filling station suddenly gained value overnight? Did they go out last night and disolve diamond dust in it or something?

I swear this smacks of price gouging.

Took me $60 to 3/4 fill my truck this morning! $2.88!!!

leckert said:
Can someone explain to me how the gas that has been sitting in the underground tanks at my local filling station suddenly gained value overnight? Did they go out last night and disolve diamond dust in it or something?

I swear this smacks of price gouging.

Took me $60 to 3/4 fill my truck this morning! $2.88!!!

The price of fuel has always be based on current market value. It will hold true when prices drop again.

Robert said:
The price of fuel has always be based on current market value. It will hold true when prices drop again.

I understand "market value". What pisses me off is that SOMEONE is making a huge profit for selling me gas for $.20 more today than yesterday. The only thing that has gone up is their profit margin, because that is the same gas that they sold me YESTERDAY! It isn't costing them any more today, they are just charging more for it.

I don't mean that crude prices haven't gone up. I know they have. What I mean is that this is the same gas that has been in there tanks for over a week!

The media spouting all their "gas prices will go up" crap is giving the oil companies carte blance to jack the prices up all they want.

pisses me off.

leckert said:
I understand "market value". What pisses me off is that SOMEONE is making a huge profit for selling me gas for $.20 more today than yesterday. The only thing that has gone up is their profit margin, because that is the same gas that they sold me YESTERDAY! It isn't costing them any more today, they are just charging more for it.

I don't mean that crude prices haven't gone up. I know they have. What I mean is that this is the same gas that has been in there tanks for over a week!

The media spouting all their "gas prices will go up" crap is giving the oil companies carte blance to jack the prices up all they want.

pisses me off.

I know what you mean. But don't forget that they'll lose money (or profit less) when the price drops again, so it all washes out in the end.

Motokid said:
umm....when's the last time you remember gas prices dropping????

It happens. Not aften enough but it does happen. Prices should go back down when everything is up and running again. It should be just a matter of time.

I also heard on a local news dealie, that the schools are paying $1.50 per gallon for the school buses.

Now, I don't have anything against getting our children to school, but that tells me that the extra ~ $1.50 that we are paying is exorbient.

When was the last time an oil company has stood up in time of crisis and said "we will help you" by lowering, or at least maintaining, their prices?

I don't think they should be legally compelled to do so, but it would be nice, and would certainly make me a customer of theirs!

Robert said:
It happens. Not aften enough but it does happen. Prices should go back down when everything is up and running again. It should be just a matter of time.

If and when they do go back down, they will not go to where they were. We will be lulled in to thinking that $2.60 is cheap. They will charge us as much as they think the market will bear, plus 10 percent. (my observation only, no facts to back that up)

Robert said:

I believe the prices will level off (as in stop going higher) but I doubt they will drop more than 5 cents per gallon, and surely won't drop the estimated increases that we are going to see....

It's interesting to go back to my original post and see that I paid $1.85 per gallon....and thought that was kinda high.... :(

leckert said:
I also heard on a local news dealie, that the schools are paying $1.50 per gallon for the school buses.

Now, I don't have anything against getting our children to school, but that tells me that the extra ~ $1.50 that we are paying is exorbient.

When was the last time an oil company has stood up in time of crisis and said "we will help you" by lowering, or at least maintaining, their prices?

I don't think they should be legally compelled to do so, but it would be nice, and would certainly make me a customer of theirs!

How much do you know about the price of gas?

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a smartass by asking. I know some, but not all of the causes of high gas prices. Things I know include state and local taxes (that the school systems probably don't pay), different fuel formulas required by local laws, the price of oil, demand, etc.

Iraq made gas prices sky-rocket in DK

Katrina had the gas prices above 10 DKK yesterday, I just checked them - they're back below 10 now.

We'll see how things go when (hopefully) the Iraq trouble settles... in some.... many... years... *sigh*

Robert said:
Please understand that I'm not trying to be a smartass by asking. I know some, but not all of the causes of high gas prices. Things I know include state and local taxes (that the school systems probably don't pay), different fuel formulas required by local laws, the price of oil, demand, etc.

No smartassedness taken! (please don't worry about offending me. I'm pretty thick, both of head, and skin! :D )

I really don't know too much about what sets the price that I pay at the pump. I was aware that much of the price was taxes, but I really don't understand where all the profit is taken, nor how the cost is passed down.

I know nothing of formulas. That sounds too much like math. :eek:

leckert said:
No smartassedness taken! (please don't worry about offending me. I'm pretty thick, both of head, and skin! :D )

I really don't know too much about what sets the price that I pay at the pump. I was aware that much of the price was taxes, but I really don't understand where all the profit is taken, nor how the cost is passed down.

I know nothing of formulas. That sounds too much like math. :eek:

Wrong kind of formula. The formula for gas is determined by emission standards of the area the fuel is sold in. California has a different formula then say Nevada, who has a different formula then Chicago, who has a different formula then Washington, DC and so on. There aren’t enough refineries to continually produce everything, so they have to stop production so they can change from gas to diesel, or to a different formula. Changing formula drives up the cost, the limited production of a given formula drives up the cost.

As far as taxes, I know gas stations in some states actually have a sticker on the pumps that detail all the taxes being paid on the fuel being dispensed. I think the first time I saw that was driving through Delaware. There is tax on gas to maintain the roads, taxes to help fund pubic transportation, sales tax, etc.

leckert said:

Wow, must be nice. I paid $3.23 for a gallon of diesel last night for the ambulance. It cost over $75 to fill it up (and it wasn't even close to empty).

Back