• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you pay for gas?

Rigana said:
It does! I'm driving with vegetable oil and once forgot to close the back door of the car and wondered about the smell.. aaah! :rolleyes:

1,40€ per liter here! :eek:

Details please...details...

What kind of car, what make, model.....

Where do you get the cooking oil?
Can you use bio-deisel?
Regular deisel?

Any modifications to use cooking oil?

Oh well, we got two cars.

A Nissan Primera and an old Peugeot 205, both diesel engines.

Basically, we just get some oil from the supermarket and fill it in the tank, no modifications. The only problem is that oil needs to have a high temperature, so we can't drive with it in winter. We will mix it with some diesel fuel then, the Peugeot needs some diesel even now when its cold in the mornings.

I think my father build in a recuperator in the Nissan, the Peugeot already had one, but it would work without that.

Gosh, I don't know any car related vocabulary! I hope, I could get my point across. :rolleyes:

Rigana said:
Oh well, we got two cars.

A Nissan Primera and an old Peugeot 205, both diesel engines.

Basically, we just get some oil from the supermarket and fill it in the tank, no modifications. The only problem is that oil needs to have a high temperature, so we can't drive with it in winter. We will mix it with some diesel fuel then, the Peugeot needs some diesel even now when its cold in the mornings.

I think my father build in a recuperator in the Nissan, the Peugeot already had one, but it would work without that.

Gosh, I don't know any car related vocabulary! I hope, I could get my point across. :rolleyes:

You did pretty good......you buy the fuel for your car from the supermarket....that's pretty wild...

I just heard from a friend who lives in the South that there's a rumor going around there may be a gas shortage. Yesterday when I ran an errand, I noticed lines at gas stations, but I figured it was people filling up before the price rose much more. Has anyone (in the US) heard anything about a possible shortage soon? I still remember the '70s and the long lines.

Miss Shelf said:
I just heard from a friend who lives in the South that there's a rumor going around there may be a gas shortage. Yesterday when I ran an errand, I noticed lines at gas stations, but I figured it was people filling up before the price rose much more. Has anyone (in the US) heard anything about a possible shortage soon? I still remember the '70s and the long lines.

Dubya has allowed the "emergency reserves" to be tapped which should stem any major shortage, and help keep prices from rising too too fast....time will tell though...

I found this to be interesting reading on bio-diesel...I could not find the Nissan vehicle Rigana mentioned on the Nissan USA web site....must no be available here.....
http://www.onmilwaukee.com/market/articles/altfuel.html

Motokid said:
You did pretty good......you buy the fuel for your car from the supermarket....that's pretty wild...

Ah well, I live in a big family, so I'm used to buy everything in huge relations. You get some queer looks though if you go out of the shop with 60 litres of salad oil in your trolley. :rolleyes:
Recently my father ordered a 900 litre tank of oil, so that won't be so much of a problem anymore.

Robert said:
Forbes Expects Oil Price to Dip to $35
Bloody Hell.....I hope that's correct, but I'm not holding my breath....that'll be the best time to buy a hybrid/diesel....I'm sure demand for them right about now is pretty high.....

I pay...nothing - ha ha ha - well actually thats cos i can't drive (doing my bit to keep the roads of England safe). Which probably means that i shouldn't be posting on this thread.

But before I go i'm gonna quickly throw this question out there -

For ages i've been hearing about how oil levels are going down etc, yesterday a company declared that they've found a new source in west Siberia which has enough resources for about another 35 years. How finite do you think the worlds oil resources actually are?

I have heard several people claim that Holland is, since recently, the most expensive country, gasoline-wise, but I have no way of being sure.

This morning I saw $2.99.....

I'm not sure about how much oil there is, or isn't in this world, but I am sure that only a few countries control it, and the after effects of burning it/consuming it are not very pleasant for the planet. The idea of American farmers growing soybeans and/or corn for bio-diesel to be used in American cars really makes me happy inside.

I'd rather pay John Smith in Kansas or Oklahoma for my fuel than pay some Shiek Allah Abdul Mohammid Akbar in Saudi Arabia.

Motokid said:
This morning I saw $2.99.....

I'm not sure about how much oil there is, or isn't in this world, but I am sure that only a few countries control it, and the after effects of burning it/consuming it are not very pleasant for the planet. The idea of American farmers growing soybeans and/or corn for bio-diesel to be used in American cars really makes me happy inside.

I'd rather pay John Smith in Kansas or Oklahoma for my fuel than pay some Shiek Allah Abdul Mohammid Akbar in Saudi Arabia.

As I understand it, even if you converted all the farmland in the country to grow corn, you would still only produce enough corn for fuel for a very small percentage of the population. I would really like to see more money going into research for alternate fuels.

$2.99 is getting off easy. I saw priced from $2.99 to $3.49 on my way home last night. Prices jumped on average of about 30 cents per gallon yesterday.

Robert said:
As I understand it, even if you converted all the farmland in the country to grow corn, you would still only produce enough corn for fuel for a very small percentage of the population. I would really like to see more money going into research for alternate fuels.

Again, I'm talking about a right now, present alternative...not a solution to the overall future issues of transportation and how to fuel it. I'm sure there's plenty of money going into research. Whoever perfects the alternative stands to make trillions and ga-zillions of dollars.

Motokid said:
Again, I'm talking about a right now, present alternative...not a solution to the overall future issues of transportation and how to fuel it. I'm sure there's plenty of money going into research. Whoever perfects the alternative stands to make trillions and ga-zillions of dollars.

It still isn’t enough, Moto. Besides, the issue today isn't the lack of oil so much as the lack of facilities to refine it into fuel.

I'll do my part until the answer is fully realized. Perhaps a new bike that gets better mileage then the Kawasaki I'm driving now. Got a chart that gives mileage data for motorcycles being manufactured today?

Robert said:
It still isn’t enough, Moto. Besides, the issue today isn't the lack of oil so much as the lack of facilities to refine it into fuel.

I'll do my part until the answer is fully realized. Perhaps a new bike that gets better mileage then the Kawasaki I'm driving now. Got a chart that gives mileage data for motorcycles being manufactured today?

The problem with biodeisel in my area is the closest place to purchase it as a regular civilian is about 100 miles away....

No charts on motocycle mpg's.....think smaller cc's and less cylinders would be my guess.

Three days ago diesel seemed too expensive at $3.49. Last night premium gasoline was $3.49 at our local Shell station. Diesel is still $3.49, and God only knows where gasoline is going.

Those little Jeep Liberties come new with a tankfull of biodiesel in them I understand -- just to prove that they will run on it, maybe. I don't know where you'd buy biodiesel. I guess you could make it in the bathtub or something.

Does salad oil actually = biodiesel?

I would run out of gas (um ,I mean diesel) trying to get to any of those places. In other words, I wouldn't be able to get there from here.

From what I've noticed (and what I consider to be the lowest priced gas stations); regular unleaded:

The last time I was in San Antonio, TX (August 28, 2005): $2.44
That same day in Austin, TX: $2.69
Last night in Austin, TX: $2.89

Back