• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you pay for gas?

Motokid said:

It's enough to make you wonder when people will hit the streets and overturn cars and ransck gas stations. Where I live, a lot of people drive half an hour or more for their jobs. If you are a spouse who earns $7.00 an hour, $4.00 a gallon would cancel out any money you'd make. I'm just floored that people aren't upset about this kind of thing.

this whole gas thinhg has me really ticked off, its gone up in my area 40 cents a gallon in the last week or two, it seems that if anything happens that "could" raise gas prices happens, they friggin skyrocket with prices
i need one of those electric cars, or a deloreon that runs on garbage

SFG75 said:
LOL-I need a diesel car that can run on veggie oil. :D

i actuallly watched a show one time were these people were driving around in a veg oil powered car once. it needed to run on gas till the oil got hot. if i remember correctly

Robert said:
I heard something about that. A diesel car that runs on restaurant waste.

Doesn't sound like it's that hard to do from this:

In a diesel engine, the fuel leaves the tank via tubes, enters the fuel injector, and is forcefully sprayed into the engine, where it combusts. Diesel engines were designed with fuel oils of all types in mind, including vegetable oil. You could buy a bottle of Crisco and pour it into the tank and the car would run -- but not well, and not for long. Vegetable oil is naturally more viscous than petro diesel or biodiesel, so getting it to the point where it is liquid enough to pass through the tubes to the combustion chamber requires a significant amount of heat and can be quite difficult if the engine is cold. Additionally, SVO will gum up the works if it reaches the engine but then is left to cool. Moreover, SVO that isn't hot enough burns incompletely, and thus inefficiently.

Converting an engine to run on SVO, then, means tinkering with the fuel-delivery system to warm the SVO before it passes through the tubes and, in some cases, heating it again before it enters the combustion phase. For the mechanically minded this is a thrilling challenge, and if you want to design your own conversion system, go for it. The rest of us will have to rely on commercially available systems.
Source

there was an article in my local newspaper not long ago about a guy who converted his car to run on used vegetable oil he got from a restaurant (he wanted to make sure he got the right kind). He stores the oil in a tank in his garage ceiling. I was wondering what kind of mess it would make if a tornado hits his garage.

One thing stopping me from riding a bike is crime. If people felt safer, more people would ride bikes, walk, or take the bus.

I guess it's unrealistic to expect people to live near where they work, especially if work is in an industrial area.

Robert said:
I don't think there was an issue.

Yeah, I was just curious as to why diesel engines were better suited for veggie oil than regular engines. I'm not much of a gearhead, just felt a little inspiration to look some stuff up. :)

I didn't know diesel engines could take Crisco in a pinch. That would be handy-keep a half dozen bottles in the trunk when you go on long trips, then when you forget to stop for gas you're all set.

Miss Shelf said:
I didn't know diesel engines could take Crisco in a pinch. That would be handy-keep a half dozen bottles in the trunk when you go on long trips, then when you forget to stop for gas you're all set.

Or just go by any restaurant and ask about used oil. I understand they’re only too happy to be rid of the stuff.

Miss Shelf said:
It has to be filtered first. I think that a stray piece of chicken could clog up the engine pretty good.

As I understand it, the filters on diesels are so good that it isn't an issue. Of course, your exhaust would probably smell like fries.

Miss Shelf said:
It has to be filtered first. I think that a stray piece of chicken could clog up the engine pretty good.

LOL-Imagine the scene. You're at the repair shop having a coffee and reading the paper and the mechanic comes in to talk to you.

You: "So what appears to be the problem?"

Mechanic: "Well, we flushed out the tank but found a cheese filled pizza crust that was creating some trouble for you."

You: "How much is this going to run me?"

Mechanic: "Unless we find any pepperoni or meatballs blocking the valves, $980.00 with labor."

:D

$2.79 and over $3.00 either tomorrow or friday. Arrrgggghhhhhhh, they should give us tax write-offs or something. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Robert said:
Of course, you exhaust would probably smell like fries.

It does! I'm driving with vegetable oil and once forgot to close the back door of the car and wondered about the smell.. aaah! :rolleyes:

1,40€ per liter here! :eek:

Back