• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

I love it when I find a bookmark in a book, this week I found a big, pretty feather in my library book :)

I also have seen a book that reminded me of this thread, Forgotten Bookmarks: a Booksellers Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages, by Michael Popeck. I want to read it but haven't got around to it yet.

Last edited:
I need to get a "favorite" book mark. The problem now is that I'm reading three different books and my kindle doesn't need a bookmark, as it has a digital one.:) I need to get a handful of bookmarks and put them in my TBR stack books.

I use whatever's at hand usually, but I have amassed a tidy little collection of bookmarks over the years. Many were gifts and a few I have found in library or used books.
There's also Pomegranate Press, you can order 100 different bookmarks for $20 and I do it once a year and give them out in books I trade :) If you want I could mail you a couple.

I lose bookmarks faster than I can find them. I gave up trying to use them and now, thankfully, my e-reader keeps place for me - kind of (oh I can add that to my moan lol)

I don't use bookmarks. I don't know what to do with them while reading. If I keep them aside, I misplace them. If I place them in the book, handling the book becomes cumbersome. But I have a knack of opening the book very close to where I stopped earlier; I also remember the exact point from where I have to resume my reading so not using a bookmark has never been a problem.

I think this needs a spin off thread - What CAN you use as a bookmark?

• My finger
  • A strand of hair - I will find out if you tried to read my book and lost my place
  • A random piece of paper with some scribbling on it, that I can't remember why I wrote it.
  • An old shopping list
  • The new shopping list that I then can't find when I go shopping.
  • a funny piece of wire that came off a package
  • an old plaster - so that's where it went - I was wondering
  • the label off the shirt I finally took off after scratching me for the past 6 months
  • the take out menu
  • a tissue - useful for when you have a cold
  • any thing that will fit flat inside the book.

I love it when I find a bookmark in a book, this week I found a big, pretty feather in my library book :)

Haha I love when that happens too! Although once I checked out Peter Straub's Julia - which is about a woman who goes mad after her child dies - from the library and found a photo of a small child inside it halfway through. Kind of freaked me out.

Typically I use whatever's at hand - usually a grocery list. I use old gift cards quite a lot too if I like the picture on them. I never buy bookmarks b/c I'm always misplacing them.

I know everyone using ereaders now but I am old fashion and looking for a useful and cute bookmark.

Anyone got your own favorite bookmark?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the small Post-It notes. Not only can you bookmark the page but you can also stick it right next to the last paragraph you read since the note can be placed along the edge, as well as the top of the page.

More than I care to admit, I use a torn off piece of toilet paper or a ripped piece of newspaper..
I'm trying to imagine where indeed you would find a piece of toilet paper to tear off to mark a place in the book you're reading.... it's coming to me... wait...

Back